Sign in to follow this  
Bob & Sue

Disconnect vacuum distributor engine dies

10 hours ago, Max Power said:

Can you show me a picture of that?

Let me see if I have a Holley around the shop this weekend with this mod and I'll snap a couple of shots.  The only cars in the shop with carbs at the moment have Eddy's on them!

On 4/21/2017 at 3:50 PM, mwye0627 said:

Very confusing that your base timing would be at 10° yet with advance all in it would be 45°

unless someone had done quite a bit of work to the advance mechanism...

Finally had a chance to do some more tuning work on my idle problem & vacuum problems. I stated earlier base timing set at 10* total advance at varied from 25* to 48* , I checked it again total was above 50* after going for a ride and heard some pinging. I looked around Oreillys has Cardone rebuilds for $29.00 put it in ran fine timing stayed steady at 12* base total advance was 32* at 3000 rpm's and it would run fine without vacuum advance connected. Started it the next day ran fine for 5 mins then died. Bought a new Proformance dizzy runs great comes with an ignition box that I can adjust everything with similar to an MSD 6AL.

The problem with my distributor was a worn Breaker Advance Plate and it had an 18L advance curve plate 36* plus 10* = 46 total advance, I have changed it to the 13L in the photo but I might just pull it apart and change everything over from the cardone for a spare.

This a pic of a spare 289 with 10L & 15L plates in it.

DSC_0017.JPG

This is a pic  mine with 13L & 18L plates in it.

DSC_0018.JPG

This is the worn out breaker curve plate the plastic is worn and loose causing it to stick locking the advance.

DSC_0020.JPG

6 hours ago, Bob & Sue said:

Finally had a chance to do some more tuning work on my idle problem & vacuum problems. I stated earlier base timing set at 10* total advance at varied from 25* to 48* , I checked it again total was above 50* after going for a ride and heard some pinging. I looked around Oreillys has Cardone rebuilds for $29.00 put it in ran fine timing stayed steady at 12* base total advance was 32* at 3000 rpm's and it would run fine without vacuum advance connected. Started it the next day ran fine for 5 mins then died. Bought a new Proformance dizzy runs great comes with an ignition box that I can adjust everything with similar to an MSD 6AL.

The problem with my distributor was a worn Breaker Advance Plate and it had an 18L advance curve plate 36* plus 10* = 46 total advance, I have changed it to the 13L in the photo but I might just pull it apart and change everything over from the cardone for a spare.

This a pic of a spare 289 with 10L & 15L plates in it.

DSC_0017.JPG

This is a pic  mine with 13L & 18L plates in it.

DSC_0018.JPG

This is the worn out breaker curve plate the plastic is worn and loose causing it to stick locking the advance.

DSC_0020.JPG

Wow...    Good Find!!!

I've seen something similar to that on a 318 Dodge Challenger years ago....