Sign in to follow this  
bigmal

Identifying a Holley Carby

Hi guys,

I bought my 69 Mach 1 out of Tampa a litle over a year ago and it's fitted with a 351C 4V. It has a new Holley carby with electric choke and I am having difficulty identifying it. I have had no luck getting any info from the previous owner.

It has the following numbers on the body - 80457-10 and 2194. My best guess is it is a 600.

Any idears? Also the car sems a little sluggish but maybe I'm too used to modern cars. Is this a big enough carby for the 351C?

Thanks, Mal.

Yes, it's a 600 cfm carb.  Here is a link to Holley's document of carb list numbers and specs.  http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_carb_numerical_listing.pdf

Carb is probably too small for even a stock 351C.  More motor information and how the car is used is needed to provide much information for carb size.  Holley has an online carb selector which will get you close if you know some motor information.  https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/ 

Yes, it's a 600 cfm carb.  Here is a link to Holley's document of carb list numbers and specs.  http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_carb_numerical_listing.pdf

Carb is probably too small for even a stock 351C.  More motor information and how the car is used is needed to provide much information for carb size.  Holley has an online carb selector which will get you close if you know some motor information.  https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/ 

Thanks for that. I found the 80457 carbys but couldn't find an 80457-10. But at least I know it's a 600.

Regards, Mal.

Yeah, I guess their document isn't current.  I never fully understood what the -x numbers meant at the end of the list numbers.  I've been told it represents the revision level of a carb family.  So when a change is made the next sequential -x is the new list number.   Which sometimes makes sense because you can sometimes see different specs for different -x list numbers of the same carb family.

When my eng was stock form with a 600 it ran Ok, Switched to a 750 and it moved much better and kept about the same on gas mileage.

Thanks for that. According to the Holley site a 600 is OK but it feels a little underdone. I am not sure if the it has a mild cam as it seems to be a litle lumpy when idling. Without stripping it I have know way of knowing what has been done internally. Very disappointing the seller want respond.

I think I wil ladd a 750 to the long list of 'to do's'

Thanks

The carb height from the bottom of the base to the air cleaner flange is the same.  I agree with Mach1Rider, yours will probably run better with a 750 vacuum secondary carb.  If you have an automatic trans, be certain to get a model that has the throttle linkage for Ford's transmission kick down linkage.  

The carb height from the bottom of the base to the air cleaner flange is the same.  I agree with Mach1Rider, yours will probably run better with a 750 vacuum secondary carb.  If you have an automatic trans, be certain to get a model that has the throttle linkage for Ford's transmission kick down linkage.  

Thanks for that. Sounds like the way to go.

Depending on the 351c build, 600cfm could be enough, but the 4160 style 600 carbs are a little limited in the types of mods you can do. Carb height won't vary much, but likely if you switch to a 750, you will have a dual fuel feed to set up which sometimes has clearance issues with manifold fittings, etc. With a 750, with vacuum secondaries, you won't be overcarbed per se, as it is in essence  a variable venturi carb in the secondary side.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is call Holley's 800 tech line and tell them everything you know about the car and they can get you close. They will ask about tings like rear gear, tranny and torque converter types, cams, ignition, etc. so have as much as you can.

Factory 4v Clevelands ran pretty strong on a 600cfm autolite, so I would check all your tuning, advance curves, ignition timing etc before dumping a carb that may work OK for you. Your call.