Sign in to follow this  
Bob & Sue

Engine surges at idle in or out of gear

When I bought this car a couple months ago engine ran fine at 800 rpm idle in gear 1100-1200 rpm in neutral, instant throttle response. I wanted to get the idle down to around 900-1000 rpm in neutral. Did all the correct steps from start to finish I thought set timing to 8^ no vacuum hooked up, set floats to just under halfway in the float window, warmed car up adjusted low idle have 14-15 vac while idling. Re-timed it to 8* at 1000 rpm, re-set low idle, hooked vacuum back up 3000 rpm 34 * timing.   

Now it seems while idling in neutral it surges between 900-1200 rpm when I put it in gear drops down to about 700 rpm then will surge & sometimes die. Took it for a quick test drive runs great above 1500 rpm good throttle response come to a stop 50% of the time it idles fine 50% rpm surges or dies.

Setup is 351W , FMX trans , Holley Street Avenger 620 CFM , Holley Dominator  manifold , Comp Cams 268 , Pertronix Ignitor 

Any ideas of what to check next? I'm going to rebuild carb what would be correct jetting & kit for this setup.

That's waaaay too high a curb idle speed right now.  By lowering the idle speed, your car now surges, a classic indication of a vacuum leak or a bad carb.  It sounds like you set the idle speed so that the carb is using the intermediary circuits and not the idle circuits.  A vacuum leak and/or plugged idle circuitry is most likely, IMHO.

Worked on it before the SB started after watching a couple Summit videos I realized the accelerator pump clearance hadn't been touched since I've owned it after checking it it was open all the time probably -.030 to -.040 clearance set it to .015 clearance at WOT started it cold choke idle was 1500 rpm after a couple minutes idled back down to 850-900 rpm in gear 650-700 rpm running smooth no surging. Bumped the timing up to 10* runs great, can't test drive it right now there's about 5" of snow that fell today.