Bob & Sue

Windshield wiper arm doesn't return to off position

When I turn off the windshield wipers the drivers side arm stays up about 4" when they're running the drivers side seems to go to the correct position. I can move the wiper blade to it's off position when turned off there's no binding and I can move it that 4" freely, I've looked at several manuals can't find any adjustments. Before I take it apart are there any linkage parts that maybe are bent or worn out. I'd like to have the parts before taking it apart.

wiper%20position_zpsuyl4mbqz.jpg

It could be you have something worn in the mechanism that needs repair or refurb.  But, it might be that you could simply remove the wiper from the rotator post, and reposition it 1 or 2 grooves "down" (remove wiper, rotate CCW and put back down onto post).  

There is a little spring loaded clip that keeps it on the post.  Hold the spring clip up or away from post to remove the wiper from the post.  The post has vertical (longitudinal) grooves all the way around that the wiper engages with.  It might be that by repositioning the wiper CCW on the post, you could get it to return to the proper position.  My wipers can be moved about 3-4in at the tip normally, by just pushing them around, and yours may not be worn out at all.

It's an easy adjustment, but it might make the difference you need, without new parts.