blueblood

Australian Members

I was wondering what upgrades you have all done using parts from later model Falcons etc to your 69/70 Mustangs.

I know you can use XF and older Upper Control arms etc, but are there any other common swaps using steering boxes & parts? Modern seats? Brakes etc?

There must have been upgraded suspension etc manufactured for XD to XF, is any of this still available?

I have been looking at RRS steering racks, brakes and suspension, but the costs are still much for a weekend cruiser.

I have to say you Aussies turn out some really outstanding cars, from the magazines to the forums and if one considers the cost,availability etc you guys are up against. The hats are off to ya :) Also you have some cool models that aren't over here.    

BA-FG ute seats are an easy swap into mustangs. You can use xd-Xf spindles, these are taller, which alters the camber curve similar to a Shelby drop. The steering arms are shorter which quickens the steering ratio. As Shep said, xe/Xf front brakes bolt on. I'm using kings "low" front springs for an xf falcon which lowers the car a couple of inches but they aren't teeth rattling firm. This is all the simple stuff without replacing the entire system as in rrs, roadster shop etc. I played with older Falcons and most people just upgraded to XF parts with decent spring/shock combo and left it at that. Personally, unless you're racing anything beyond that is change just for the sake of change. All the group c Falcons from the 70-80s ran stock suspension set ups. E series 6 cylinder starters will work with mods, ea-au brake light switches fit with a connector change.

E series 6 cylinder starters will work with mods

The newer the starter, the smaller they get and still bolt in.

For example AU and BA are nearly the same as E-series. BF stepped down in size. FG smaller again. All of these 6cyl blocks use the same bellhousing bolt pattern except pre-AU there were two less bolts on the very bottom.

Here's a BA 6cyl starter next to a 6cyl manual Mustang starter plus an adapter I made to allow the BA starter to fit.

20161215_160743_zpss6xrdduq.jpg

20161215_165108_zpsymkcvbrc.jpg

And here is an FG 6cyl next to the Mustang starter for size comparison.

20170102_082833_zpsuaf8flmg.jpg

Did you have to grind down one side of the front of the starter and have you had issues with the solenoid touching the steering arm, I believe some have issues with this?