Sign in to follow this  
Rsanter

I'm on a plane to France right now

I'm on a plane to France right now. Headed to Paris and then Colmar

I know there are some members here from France so I am looking for sugestions.

I have been th Paris before so I am not looking to visit the top 10 tourist sites again.

I would like to see or do something interesting that is perhaps not as well known.

Museaum or other interesting sites.

Is there a car museaum there?

Anyone live in Paris or Colmar and want to meet to have a beer?

Bob

Went to Paris last summer. While fun, I dont plan on going back. There's a huge mall downtown that's like 7 stories tall. You can take that all the way to the top to the roof where there's an astroturff hang out with a bar and some cool lounge areas. Great view of everything around you from that far up. Have fun and wish i was more help. 

Bob, what a wonderful news!

Paris. The city were freedom was born as a fundamental right (Liberty). To this day, the lunatic fools that choose to fight against Liberty still aim at this city to challenge it universally. Poor souls.

As long as you visit Paris by yourself and stay away from the tourist buses and tours, you will have a greater time than ever. You can literally walk all around that place. Actually, if you physically can, this is how one must visit Paris: on foot! It'll probably take a few days, but like in any big city in the world, if you carefully pick places and areas, you'll see the real deal. You might even meet some real "parisiens" ;-) Don't believe what others say: they do speak English, as long as you do not demand it from them. Simply ask politely. Put yourself in there shoes.

Places to go to?

- Quartier Latin (Montagne St Geneviève, Le Panthéon et la Place des Grands Hommes, la rue Mouffetard, etc.)

- Montmartre, because it is so peaceful and romantic!

- Ile de la Cité, Ile St Louis, la chapelle St Louis

- Walk from the Eiffel Tower to l'Arc de Triomphe, then down les Champs Elysees into the Tuileries all the way to the Louvre. That will take you half a day!

- Visit Le Grand Palais, Le Musee d'Orsay, l'Hotel des Invalides, and so much more!

By the way, I was born and raised in Paris, if you didn't guess by now. Oh yeah, allow me to add that malls are not what made Paris famous. Dubai has nicer malls if you ask me... LOL!

Colmar is a very pretty little Alsacian town, not far at all from the border with Germany. I personally prefer Strasbourg, where I lived for 7 years, bigger and a lot more history there, but you'll love the cooking, the wine, and how pretty houses are. There are a couple old castles in the hills west of the town. Haut Koenigsbourg is the most famous. Don't miss it! At this time of year, the vineyard should be beautiful. They just finished the "vendanges" (grape picking?).

Just a little advice: as close as Alsacian and German cultures may seem to you, don't make the mistake to compare them in the face of the locals. The alsacians are some of the proudest French around our nation. And they have not forgiven what Prussia did back in 1870. They call the rest of us "the French from the inside". That's because France lost Alsace and Lorraine to Prussia from 1870 until 1918. French people from these two regions were forced to become Germans. The French language was banned from life overnight, even in schools. Men were enrolled by force in the Prussian army to fight their own Nation... You may have never been told that "Freeing the brothers from Alsace and Lorraine" was the main reason why France went to war in 1914. As the little post WW1 poster says (about the French flag): "Now that it came back, let's make sure it's holding firm into the ground". As we know, things got bloody again 20 years later...

Enjoy your trip in my beloved country Bob!

G

post-37557-0-76008400-1476655560.jpeg