harrellv10

Finally starting my 1969 Mach 1 build

Hello 69 stangers. I'll introduce myself before I get into the project. I'm an Army infantry officer, currently stationed at Fortress Polk, LA. I am addicted to mustangahol. I bought a 1969 Mach 1 S Code off eBay in 2009 for $5500. The original 390 and 4 speed were long gone and the car was just a rusted skeleton, so it is a perfect candidate for a restomod.

This is pretty much my dream car, and I'm thinking something like a pro touring build, and will take the car to the track, car shows, and the movies with the girlfriend. It will look pretty, sound snotty, have all the modern creature comforts like A/C, PS, PW, PDLs, navigation system, nice stereo, etc. And it will blow doors completely off. Or it will be the biggest money pit POS I have ever dug myself into :p

Pictures will come soon. I have been accumulating parts for some time now. Here is what I have so far:

Engine:

-427 side oiler w/ 428 crank 602HP at the flywheel

-Hydraulic roller cam/ Crane roller rocker assemblies

-Ported Edelbrock RPM heads and intake

-10.5:1 compression forged pistons

-FAST EZ EFI 2.0 w/ return style fuel system and Tanks Inc. 22 gal EFI fuel tank

-Billet Specialties serpentine system

-1.75" ceramic coated Doug's Headers and 3" Magnaflow complete exhaust system

-Be Cool cooling module

Transmission:

-Tremec T-56 Magnum wide ratio

-Hydraulic clutch system

-Aluminum driveshaft

Chassis/Suspension:

-TCI 3-link system, complete, 2" drop

-Mini tubs

Rear End:

-3.89:1 geared Currie 9", narrowed 1" on each side, True Trac differential

Brakes:

-Wilwood 14" front/13" rear

Body:

-Carbon fiber fenders from Maier Racing

-3.25" fender flares, front/rear

-Fiberglass stock repro hood and Mach 1 scoop

-Fiberglass front and rear bumpers

-FIberglass deck lid and spoiler

-New stock replacement firewall, floor pans, trunk floor, roof skin, quarter panels, tail light panel

Interior:

-Dakota Digital gauges and clock

-TMI front rear seats/upholstery

-TMI console

-TMI carbon fiber headliner/sail panels

Wheels and tires I do not have yet, as I have to mock everything up and do some careful measuring before I order. I know I want Raceline GTs in 18x10 front and 18x12 rear. I want to fit 295/35/18 front and 335/30/18 rear tires.

I have pretty much everything I need. I think it will take a little over a year to get her done. I'm thinking graphite metallic paint with gloss black hood blackout and black Mach 1 side and rear decals painted on, but still reflective at night somehow...

Woooohooooooo!!!!

Has anybody tried the Fastlane Innovations RamDuct RD Oval Air system? It is only $99 for the base and looks like it will make a normal oval air cleaner assembly and stock hood function as a real ram air system. Is this the internet's best-kept secret? Why have I been google searching for something like this for literally 7 years and just now saw this?

Also, has anybody used an Ididit steering column? I bought one, then found out that the steering wheel I wanted to use will not fit the steering column and there is no adapter kit for it. I understand that the stock steering wheels work with the Ididit column I bought. I want one that is kind of like this:post-45157-0-85845400-1474163201.jpeg

Anybody know what it is? Where do I get one?

I really want this one. It's a Flaming River Cascade. It will only mount to a Flaming River steering column, though. Options: Return the Ididit and buy a Flaming River. Ooooorrrrr, fabricate an adapter. I'm thinking return the Ididit. Any other ideas? Or any other steering wheels out there that are similar that will work with the stock steering column/Ididit?post-45157-0-18621000-1474165062.jpeg

Steering column update... I confirmed that the Flaming River Cascade steering wheel I want will not work with the Ford-splined Ididit column I bought. I called CJ Pony Parts and their customer service is OUTSTANDING!!! No questions asked, they issued me a return authorization number and are refunding 100% of my money for the Ididit column. No restock fee or anything!

They also helped me figure out exactly which part numbers I do need and I ordered those. I ordered a GM-splined Flaming River column and the mounting kit for a short shaft car. I also ordered the FR steering wheel and adapter that I want.

The only piece of the puzzle left is the shaft and rag joint hardware. For that, I must look at the TCI steering rack and see what the spline count and diameter needs to be, then order. I should have called tech support in the first place!

There was about 3/4" of bondo under the paint on each of the quarter panels!!! The previous owner, in PA, said the car sat outside in the weather for between 20 and 30 years. Also, the hood was set up for a shaker scoop, but the breather assembly and carb were gone, so two or three decades worth of rain went directly into the intake. The original 390 was long gone even then and somebody had stuffed a 351C in there. I tore the 351C apart when I bought the car and discovered that it was way too rusted inside to consider rebuilding. The cylinder walls were rusted so bad that my pocket knife would stab into them and stick! I sold it at the scrap yard, along with all of the sheet metal that you don't see in the pictures (it was all ruined) for $44.

The car is in Belton, TX. I am in Louisiana right now. I am actually one of those sissies that pays someone else to build his baby for him. In my defense, I have built a couple of cars in the past with help from some friends, but nothing THIS involved. I am in the military and took the car to the restoration shop while I was stationed at Fort Hood, but the waiting list was 2 years long. I moved before the builder got to my car, so I just left it there and kept sending him parts. This project is too involved for my skill level, at least initially. I have never learned to weld :( I will probably have the builder save some of it for me, though :D. If I tried to do all of this myself, it would take me YEARS.

Thanks for the offer on the parts. I actually have the doors, new front windshield, all fenders, light buckets, HID headlight kit, grill assembly, fog lights, marker lights, etc. I am sure there will be little nick-nacks that I still need that I haven't discovered yet. I'll hit you up when it happens. I just haven't laid out all my parts for photos because one: they are in Texas, and two: there is literally an 18-wheeler full of parts for ol' Project Rustang!

Oil pans and TCI rack & pinions...

Anybody have experience, especially with an FE engine? TCI's website really doesn't say, but I did find an expert in the field that believes I need a double hump oil pan to clear the TCI front end. He gave me a part number, I looked it up on Summit Racing's website, and it is in fact a double hump, 6 quart road race style oil pan. I ordered it and the pick up. We'll see if it fits. I was hoping to fit a 7 quart in there.

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/55365-1969-428-cj-main-bearings/

May check out this on the FE oiling system started by Raven in the tech section, was on the 3 page from today's....lots of good info on altering the oil passages during the build

I don't have any experience with the double hump pan. PM when you get to the little things if parts needed.

Thank you for your service, God's speed

I confirmed directly with a TCI tech rep. Canton pan part # 15-874 and pickup 15-875 is the ONLY pan that fits the 69-70 mustangs with TCI IFS/ rack & pinion and FE engine. And apparently that was covered in the instructions that came with the kit. Doh!