Sign in to follow this  
JD08

Underhood wire identification.

This is on a 70 Mach 1, no tach. I have two wires that don't seem to have a place to connect to. Any suggestions?

The first has two wires, one blue (or maybe gray?) and one black. The second has one green wire and isn't the A/C.

0906162020_Edited.jpg

Black%20and%20blue.jpg

Green.jpg

The two wire female bullet is for your PRNDL shifter lamp.  The blue wire should have a white female bullet, and that is for your carb solenoid signal.  It is a RUN-only line.

I can't find the PRNDL on my 4-spd!

Sorry.....poor morning humor on my part. But good info Randy!

I did have a male and female wire that I connected that both had white connectors. The white male connector did attach to the NSS harness, so I figured the white female connector matched it.

I'll pull that on and plug the white male from the NSS into the two wire. If the other in the picture is the carb solenoid, I can ignore it as I have a Holley 770 SA* That now leaves me with a white female coming from the harness with nowhere to go. Any ideas where that should connect? I'll post pictures tomorrow morning.

* Thanks to MikeStang for the 770 assistance. And  Midlife for not only the refurb harness, but now help getting it back in correctly.

Say what???  The NSS/BU harness plug is a four pin affair...the design of the white male bullet connector for the oversize female bullet socket can't fit the standard bullet, as the molded connector is twice as big in diameter as normal.

What you state here makes no sense to me...

I did have a male and female wire that I connected that both had white connectors. The white male connector did attach to the NSS harness, so I figured the white female connector matched it.

I'll pull that on and plug the white male from the NSS into the two wire.

I have an FMX and the NSS is in the shifter. The NSS has a 4 pin connector, a 2 pin blue connector, and a white male connector. I have the 4 pin taken care of and the 2 pin blue connector is supposedly for 71-up vehicles, leaving the white male connector.

On the engine bay side of the main harness, I have a white female connector and the two shown above.

ThreeWires.jpg

I have an FMX and the NSS is in the shifter. The NSS has a 4 pin connector, a 2 pin blue connector, and a white male connector. I have the 4 pin taken care of and the 2 pin blue connector is supposedly for 71-up vehicles, leaving the white male connector.

On the engine bay side of the main harness, I have a white female connector and the two shown above.

ThreeWires.jpg

Midlife...is the wire with the white female end hot when cranking...to replace the pink resistor wire

It is hot while cranking, but it can't be used to replace the pink resistor wire, as the feedback from the starter solenoid does not run through that system.  While cranking, the voltage will be significantly lower than 12V.  That may work if you break the pink resistor wire from the circuit, so long as you keep the line (I wire) from the starter solenoid to the engine gauge feed.  I won't guarantee, however, that the system would work...but it would be interesting to try.

Also, the white female bullet is fused, so if the fuse blows, the car would shut down.  Something to think about...

Midlife,I am running the pink wire and the white female wire /connector in tandem...the pink resistor wire runs out of power/volts at 5,000 rpm and the engine would miss badly.. took a month of Sundays to find out the pink wire wasn't supping enough volts to the Pertronix at higher rpm and missing...so I found the white female connector and ran full 12 volts to the coil ...bingo...all is cured...then I tried running it alone ...would not start...hooked it up again with the pink ... bingo...runs perfectly to 7000rpm...

There you go!  I'll wager that if you have a Ford original tach, it may not read correctly with two wires in tandem.

It's a Suntune II...you actually wired it into my harness when you refurbished the harness......works perfect

The white male connector for the PRNDL lamp doesn't fit the female plug with two wires, but it might fit the single green wire plug. If that is the correct location, then what is the other plug for?

The white female is now accounted for as it is unused since I have no carb solenoid.

The A/C clutch is already connected to a longer green wire. Further, that's the only plug the white male will fit in.

The confusing part is I can't find any of these in the diagrams. Worst case scenario is that I leave them disconnected and then when I start the car use a voltmeter or test light on them to see which comes on with the light switch. Then use that one for the PRNDL lamp,