prayers1

Is it necessary to reinforce shock towers

The car sat most of the time this Summer w/o any work done to it.  Caring for my Father-in-Law, who now lives with us and life's "little" problems makes the time go fast.

On a good note, I was able to sell the 357C motor, QF Carb and Blue Thunder Intake on eBay, but unfortunately that money was eaten up quickly purchasing parts for the 408 Cleveland build.

At this moment I would like to get back to figuring how to weld in the Shock Tower reinforcements myself. MANY years ago I had some experience using a Mig Welder making aluminum floors for Semi's.  I would like to buy a good used welder, since this would be the only time I would need one. I'm also concern that with my inexperience that I would blow too many holes in the metal and yes I know I need to practice.

What am I looking for in a Mig Welder and what are my concerns using it on the car? I don't want to spend a ton and then have it sit in the corner.

Thanks Guys!

PS. This Ad just came into my email. What do you think?

Eastwood MIG Welder 110VAC/ 135A Output Item #12011 Brand: Eastwood $259.99.

Heck, if I can weld, you can too. You've got prior experience, you've just got to get back in practice. Practice on scrap pieces "coupons" which are the same thickness as will be on the car. Also use the same overlap weld joint. Read latoracing's thread for pointers on how he did his and it'll be better than the average bear's.

The welder you referenced http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html has the specs to do your project, but I can't speak for Eastwood quality as I've only had Linde, Lincoln and Miller welders. Reviews I've seen on Eastwood welders have been all over the map.

I learned to weld so long ago the options were ARC (stick) welding or Oxy-Acetylene welding.  Even the textbook we used contained only ARC and Oxy-Acetylene procedures in it.  MIG or TIG welding were not around yet that I was aware of.  I still only have and use either an stick welder or Oxy-Acetylene torches.  â€‹I simply cannot afford a decent MIG or TIG welder at this time.

I've MIG welded only once a long time ago.  It was with a good quality machine one of my friends owned and the it was fairly easy to create good beads.

As far as that particular Eastwood MIG welder, I don't know.  I can say this, another friend of mine bought a low cost MIG welder in the same price range as the Eastwood you are looking at.  It was garbage, he eventually basically gave it away.

Having worked for 10 years as an Engineer for a food equipment mfg. I'd say, the equipment is about half the battle for creating good welds.  I'd spend some time looking for something used that is higher end before settling on that Eastwood model.  If you have a welding supply store near you, go and look at their stuff and ask some questions to get a better idea of what you need.  Don't forget, if you might still need to get a bottle of Gas for the flux shield if you don't want to use the flux core wire.  Solid wire and a Gas flux creates better looking welds with less effort.

Don't worry about that "stack of dimes" look on the weld beads.  I've had to work with several weld inspectors on projects and those pretty welds would get ground down and rewelded.  All those peaks and valleys in that "stack of dimes" looking bead contain discontinuities and create stress risers in the weld bead.  You want to see individual puddles but they must be close together and consistent in size with minimum peaks and valleys.

I'm sure after you have a welder, you'll find more than one use for it.  Plus your neighbors will probably find a use for it.