Sign in to follow this  
LiLMike

What ATF to Use?

I have a brand new 4R70W that I am putting into my 69 Mach1. What ATF should I use and how much. This includes the torque converter also. I have read that Mercon V is recommended but the transmission shop mentioned Mercon 6. Also what are your thoughts about synthetic?

I would ask the shop who rebuilt it or call manufacture. On my 68, C4, he said to use the mercon due to the clutches he put in. On my Mach, C6 he said Synthetic due to the clutches. C4 was 5 quarts, start in neutral, add as needed, took total of 9? He also told me to go from neutral to reverse to wash/blow out any possible residual thrash into pan.

Good to know guys. The shop I mentioned was the one that built it. That is why I was confused. He said Mercon VI but I read on the Ford Parts site to use Motorcraft Mercon V. I going to assume that Ford knows what they are talking about. I do have the Red Eagle clutches in my tranny.

You can use mercon VI as well, I believe Motorcrafts V is a semi synthetic and VI is a full synthetic.

If your tranny guy says mercon VI, by all means use it. The TSB I referred to was probably prior to mercon VI being available.

I run Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 4r70w

Going to full synthetic made it much smoother.

You can slip it into gear and can't even feel it haha.

I would use Merc V or VI or Mobil synthetic...all are rated for that trans