Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

Radiator Support Assembly Replacement

I need to replace both the radiator support assembly and the driver's side front fender apron on my 69 Mach. I've purchased parts from Dynacorn ( radiator support with crossmember) to do this and while I have some idea about what's involved here, I'd like a more comprehensive and detailed video or article on it. Can anyone advise? 

Thanks,

John 

I'm in the process of this as well, radiator support and both front aprons. Get yourself a good spot weld cutter, I've used this one https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/spot_weld_cutter_hardened_by_blair-106724-0.html and it works quite well, just have too be careful not to cut past the panel you're removing.

I haven't removed the front crossmember yet but a couple members here have, I'm sure they will chime in. Do you have a Mig welder yet? Have any welding experience?

Is the OE radiator support cross member in place ?

Yes, the OE cross member is still in place. Looking for in depth video or write-up on how to tackle this job. I do have a MIG welder and know how to use it. Was a welder in the AF.

If the rad. cross member is there i'll guess that the frame rails and diagonal strut rod braces are there to ?  If so you are in pretty good shape.  Don't know of any tutorials off hand but some of the guys here have done this before and might be able to help out.  Brian

The radiator support is fairly easy to R+R, just some interesting places to get at to remove the cross member.

Make sure your car is properly leveled and supported before you start this. You can twist the frame if this front cross member is installed crooked.

If you haven't yet, get a bunch of measurements for realigning purposes, from several fixed points that you can accurately check against while you are installing your new parts. Once you have all your measurements, check them one last time, then start removing the front end. (the fun part) 

IMG_20140721_194834_zpsxfndm0uk.jpg

You can remove the majority of the parts and leave the spot welded areas to clean up. If you look closely at the pic there are cross member remnants left on top of the frame rails, tabs, under the frame rails, and on top of the strut rod brackets. These are much easier to dress up once all the major parts are removed. Clean all surfaces and repair any areas that may need a little attention, especially on the battery side. 

Once everything is all cleaned up, fit the new assembly in place, making sure your previously recorded measurements (width of frame rail, distance from a fixed point to the cross member etc...) are the same as the one you removed. Once you are happy with the fit (mine went right on without any issues) put a few self tapping screws into the attachment areas to secure the cross member in place. Check measurements once again, then mark all the areas that will need rosette welds, which are not many.

IMG_20140802_141636_zpseetboudj.jpg

Before you remove the radiator support, you can fit the front aprons. They are fairly simple, just take your time and clamp / screw them in place, with the use of your measurements to verify their correct placement. 

IMG_20140827_173221_zpskfcjilcx.jpg

Mark all the areas that need to be punched for rosette weld holes, and watch the alignment holes on the passenger side for your battery tray. I custom made my panels as I did a T/A nose drop and deleted the battery tray, but you get the idea.

IMG_20140828_185756_zpstvpwi3mi.jpg

IMG_20140828_185906_zpsm8givj9f.jpg

Once you are happy with the way your front end fits, take it all apart, punch / drill all your attachment holes, and apply primer where needed. Drill your strut rod braces for the attachment welds as well. I replaced mine, but this is how they looked before installation. Reassemble, and triple check all your measurements. tack parts in place, and have fun welding up your new front end.

IMG_20141030_184617_zps58zs4tvx.jpg

IMG_20141018_194306_zpsojjojrdp.jpg

IMG_20141030_191856_zpsjaqxrasm.jpg

It really isn't that hard, the weld and sealant manual can help with the various weld placements, but when you take it apart, you'll know how to reattach it. Not a video, but hope it helps.

Mike