Sign in to follow this  
Lil John SVT

A/C Dilemma

I redoing my 69 coupe. The previous owner decided to update the a/c compressor to the new style, serpentine belt. In the process they cut lines, hose clamped lines, botched up the condenser. The a/c control face is gone. Along with all the vac lines. I'm wondering if it'd be best just to remove all the original a/c components and clean up the engine bay. And if it comes to it I can always install an aftermarket a/c unit. I don't think it's worth the money to try to replace everything to keep it original looking.

Basically what I'm getting at is, is fixing the original a/c worth the money versus a aftermarket set up. Resale value, it's a coupe, not much there. Plus I don't see it being sold, rather pass it down. I know you can get all the parts to rebuild the original set up. Just wasn't sure it was worth it. That's all

Well if all your missing is the control, condenser, a/c lines, and vacuum lines I'd say go original. This on the assumption that everything in the heater, A/C box in the car is good.

It's not that I'm a purest, I'm the first to say "It's your car, do whatever you want two it".

Make a parts list and compare it to the cost of a quality aftermarket kit.

I've got on OEM compressor, mount, lines and a couple other pieces I'll let you have for cheap. The only down side is it is heavy so I'll have to look into shipping. If you're interested send me your zip code and I'll do some calculations for you.

My opinion in this topic.  I do lean towards being a purist.  But on a 69 Coupe I don't think originality is very important for air conditioning.  Aside from that, If you have to use R134A instead of the older R12 I would at least research a complete kit that is designed for R134A.  Converting an R12 system to R134A doesn't work as well as most would expect.  They don't cool as well, leaks are more common, and an R12 compressor doesn't last very long with the higher operating pressures of R134A.  I would definitely save any original parts removed from the car so there is always the option to go back to original.

Lastly, if you do install any type of A/C, original or not, make certain you have the water pump pulley, radiator, fan, etc. for an air conditioned car.  The radiator and fan is more obvious.  But the water pump pulley on a factory A/C car with a small block motor is smaller in diameter than a non A/C car.  This speeds up the water pump to improve engine cooling and air flow through the radiator.

They don't cool as well, leaks are more common, and an R12 compressor doesn't last very long with the higher operating pressures of R134A.

OP stated he had a newer serpentine compressor and the Drake condenser/evap I linked is 134a compatible, just sayin :)

I have a 69 convertible that installed a complete factory air system in over 10 years ago.  It's been converted to 134a and has worked well.  The one issue I have is that the factory air compressor has so much drag when it kicks on that at idle the engine almost stops.  Does anyone know if there is a replacement that would bolt right up?  I was told that the problem is that the stock compressor is a single cylinder and that there is a newer one that is a 2 cylinder that works.  

As my OEM compressor gets older its doing the same thing, and in summer I have to increase the idle speed to compensate. I think a rotary vane compressor will give smoother operation.

Another thought is a throttle body EFI would adjust idle speed as needed for a varying loads like A/C and has lots of other good features too, like instant start, no choke, smoother idle, slightly better gas mileage, HP and torque go up about 8%, and the learning software adjusts-tunes the engine. FiTech will even do the timing if you like.

Ford offered some original style compressors in aluminum to save weight. They can be had rebuilt for $180 on up. Just Google "1969 mustang air conditioning compressor" and they will come up. I'm in the same boat, my '70 is an original AC car and I want to put it back on and get it working. From what I've read the newer Sanden style compressors don't rob as much HP and can handle higher RPM's than the old style. Some of the companies like vintage auto air and Old auto air offer complete under hood kits with rebuilt and new components. I do like the original look better and will probably go with an aluminum unit and paint it black.  

Matt