Caseyrhe

Need ignition issue help

Need some help. Started my Mach today after installing new fan and shroud, when I went to turn off the ignition, car kept running. I tapped the top of the starter solenoid and it shut off. I did this because of issues I've had since getting the car, starter not engaging (popping out) onto flywheel.

Problem, car now turns over, starts to fire, but as soon as you would normally disengage ign switch it will not stay running. If you leave ign engaged and depress on gas pedal, engine revs up. Replaced solinoid with a new one, get same results. Car doesn't have the instrument cluster in, but didn't earlier today when it started. Plug for tach has power when ign turned on, both side of circuits at fuse panel have power with ign on, except the smallest fuse for instr light?, either side.

Should batt side of coil have power with ign on, does not currently.

Starter only stays engaged when ign is turned to right all the way, disengages when ign is at on position.

Since I got car together, and running, some time when starting, motor would turn over then starter would come of flywheel and starter motor just spin

Resistor wire in diagram......would this be the one in the harness going to tach plug/harness? Also into engine compartment out of firewall, that connects to harness for cool, temp, oil send unit?

Would the violet resistor wire in dash that I found cut and capped be playing a part in m issue?

Harness in car is factory, so far it is all in tac, only wire I have found to be altered/cut has been the violet wire

My attachment is a schematic and is intended to show how it works, not how it is wired, as in a wire diagram.

On a car with a tach:

Ignition Switch C- wire 16 pink goes to a two terminal plug that goes to the tach, power goes through the tach and back to the plug and out through wire 16A pink, to a three terminal plug, and out the other side to wire 16 pink which goes to the coil.

It sounds like the tach circuit is open (burned-up or disconnected).  Disconnect the tach if not already and put a jumper wire in the plug (on the car side, not the tach side) from wire 16 pink to wire 16A pink. That should complete the circuit and get the engine running again.

I don't have a tach and the wire diagram is on a different page so I always forget the tach is in series with the ignition circuit. In most modern cars the tach is not placed in series with the coil as it is here, instead they are in parallel and can be disconnected and not affect the operation of the car. Since yours is in series, if it is disconnected or gets fried the engine won't run- its an open circuit. Let us know if that works.