Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

One wire Alternator question?

For over a year I converter to the on-wire alternator and been letting the 3 wires that plug into the voltage regulator hang.

What can I do to clean things up, I show the car and it looks silly just hanging there.

Could I cut the 3 wire connector off, tape the ends and hide it within the bulk wire next to it.

Would cutting those wires off cause an electrical problem.

DSC03814_zpsxo1djon9.jpg

Cutting wires that do not go anywhere is never an issue.  Insure there are only 3 wires, sometimes they run 2 wires to one of the connectors so they join there, in that case cutting them would make a difference.   But if you only have 3 wires going to a connector with 3 pins, it should not be an issue.    That being said, I always hate to cut good wires.  How about taping the connector to the wire bundle, and hide it with tape?    What are you doing about the connector to the voltage regulator?  I assume the alternator has a built in regulator, but maybe not?  If you are still using the regulator, tape the alternator connector behind the connector to the regulator?

What happens if you are on a road trip, and the one wire alternator fails.  The only replacement you can get has the 3 wire connector, but you cannot use it because you cut the wires.  Just giving you things to consider.

Good point Danno and thank you for the reply.

I tend to agree as well with not cutting good wires.

I was sitting thinking, boy that looks stupid having the regulator wires just hanging out unplugged in plain site.  I'll see if I can incorporate the wires in to the bundle next to it.

Thanks!