Sign in to follow this  
1969_Mach1

Shocks

Over the weekend I installed a little softer front coil springs on my 1969 Mach 1, 550 lb./inch vs. the 600 lb./ inch springs that I installed during the restoration.  In the process I found one of my Gabriel Strider adjustable shocks was bad.  That's right, I bought them a long time ago and they are no longer made.  Anyway, I cannot adjust it, and it knocks and makes other noises.  Now I am thinking of replacing all four shocks.  The suspension is basically stock.  But it has 5 leaf mid eye springs in the back, I think (not 100% certain) they are rated at 200 lb/in, 550 lb/inch coil springs in the front, the upper control arms were lowered 1", 1 inch front sway bar and a stock 5/8" rear sway bar from a 1970 Mach 1.  I am also still using the original chrome styled steel wheels that came with the car and close to the original size tire, 215/70 14.  With the springs I have I don't want high pressure gas shock like the KYB Gas-A-Just.  But what is a best option for a shock in that price range that is not a high pressured gas shock?  Thanks in advance for any info.

Although not in that price range I'm a big fan of Koni's Sport adjustable shocks, on sale at Summit right now for $115ea. Pretty good deal considering normal is $143.

http://m.summitracing.com/search/brand/koni/part-type/shocks-and-struts/year/1969/make/ford/model/mustang/gas-charged/no

Ooof.. that is a decent sale.   I got the full grab-a-trak kit and short-sightedly went with the "included" shock with the package.   -  I've been meaning to lower mine -  

so i'd be looking @ ~ $500 for all the shocks, cutting the 620spring, and then getting a lowering block for the rear

I've seen people go back and forth between Koni and Bilsteins - but at this price i'd definitely get the Koni's from what I've heard.