Sign in to follow this  
shelbyshelby

Parking Brake Cable Assembly Order

My car was a basket case when I bought it. Looked at many photos online of the front parking brake cable and seen the spring cup installed before and after the spring. Can somebody with an assembly manual or knowledge confirm the order of the pieces that install at the end of the front cable? Most often I saw the spring cup installed just before the equalizer. This leaves the other end of the spring resting on the clip that holds it to the mounting bracket on the frame, at least with what parts I have, could be missing something. It just didn't look right to me. Thanks for any insight guys....Jeff

My car was a basket case when I bought it. Looked at many photos online of the front parking brake cable and seen the spring cup installed before and after the spring. Can somebody with an assembly manual or knowledge confirm the order of the pieces that install at the end of the front cable? Most often I saw the spring cup installed just before the equalizer. This leaves the other end of the spring resting on the clip that holds it to the mounting bracket on the frame, at least with what parts I have, could be missing something. It just didn't look right to me. Thanks for any insight guys....Jeff

post-13461-0-27853900-1463369510.jpeg

Between being inactive for awhile and posting from a phone that was responding slow I managed to quote myself. Thanks RPM for the photo. I just installed mine like yours and the it just looks like something is missing. The spring rides against the clip that retains the cable to mounting bracket. do you think this is correct or am I missing a piece?

post-13461-0-88692600-1463443597.jpeg

That looks like the spring just slides over the cable and rests on the clip like I have it installed. It does look incomplete though. The manual shows the same kind of clip also. im going to run as is and like the manuals photo unless something else surfaces. Thanks robot

Yep it is an 2015 iron. You have a good eye my friend. I laid the cable on its 2up seat as it was the cleanest place for a quick pic. I enjoy the sportster and it's my daily driver as long as I can get there dry. One of the only mods I'm considering is better lighting. Wonder what bulb is worth the money?

I have the same bike! Bought mine new in 2011, 59,000 kms layer still going strong! No recommendations on the light but have one for the clutch! The stock sportster clutch is rubbish. It uses brass rivets to hold plates in place and when it wears they can shear off and float around the clutch hub. I had this issue and after cleaning the hub out thankfully no damage. When mine started to go at around 50,000 I bought an energy 1 clutch. It's the best ever and uses an extra kevlar plate instead of the silly rivets. It's a little heavier in the left hand but such a better clutch and cheaper than the crappy stock replacement. What mods have you done? Any more pics mate?
Chris

Idk, you mean that's not your ride? Hope the trolls aren't getting the site again. Only mods I've done is the 2up seat, pegs and sissy bar so my girl and wife will ride on occasion. Oh and vance n Hines slip ons for noise. What mods have you done? Pics too

post-13461-0-10325200-1463841054.jpeg

post-13461-0-13039100-1463841156.jpeg

post-13461-0-12768600-1463841483.png

Nah my post just put in random pics of someones car and engine haha!

Your Iron looks tough. At least you have the sidemount plate as standard, I had to get mine on Ebay. Is that the newer badlander seat? I have a simalar one. Only mods are the seat, sidemount plate, flipped mirrors, Energy 1 clutch, SE slip on mufflers with buckshot covers which are starting to get louder haha! My front pipe has a scratch along the bottom from how hard I push it around the corners down here!

The photo is when I had Metzlers on it, they are the best i've had for traction but only got 6,000kms out of the rear. I put on the new Michellins and they are pretty good compared to the first set of Dunlops I had initially.

IronMedium.jpg

We do have the same bike. I dig your pipes. That's something I want to do someday to mine when funds allow. With bikes, you don't get as much for your money in my opinion. Yep it is a badlander. See, I can upholster a whole mustang for what 1 cycle seat costs. Pipes are the same, expensive for what you get. Anyway you did great picking out your ride and it impresses me to hear you've put bout 12km a year on yours. I use mine as a DD to work and such much only managed about 6k last year. Appreciate the clutch info. Speaking of, I just did my 5K service but haven't lubed the cables yet. If you've done yours, was the throttle side difficult? Ive also read people don't even do them because of Teflon lining not needing it. Btw the wife and daughter says the seat hurts their back and bottom, but it does me fine. I doubt they even ride enough to have ever got conditioned to it. Can you see past your shoulders any better with the flipped mirrors or is it a cosmetic mod?

Thanks mate. Yeah no way they hold their value compared to our muscle cars!

The cable is a little bit of mucking about, just used some dry grease when I changed the grips. I don't think it's too critical. Lubed mine at 40,000 odd.

Yeah my girl is not a huge fan of the seat either haha! It's because it's directly above the rear axle, every bump hurts.

Yeah with the mirrors flipped I can actually see better. I could see half of my shoulder with the on top, now I can see the whole picture. I am pretty thin though. If you do it, buy the black nuts to go up top, they are stock 48 items. Flip em and see if you like it, I think you will.

Chris