Sign in to follow this  
Kevin427

DIY front crossmember

Hello, Here is my take on a DIY front cross member.  My original was bent so I decided to make my own. I used schedule 40 1" (1.30" actual) 304 stainless steel with a wall thickness of .130". I used a power conduit bender we have at work. I wish I could tell you measurements but I just eyeballed it and it came out pretty good. The ends are made of stainless angle that is .200" thick and mig welded to the tube. The welds are not the prettiest but it isn't going to break. The old one weighs just under 4 lbs and the new one is 1 lb. heavier.  This one should last the life of the car. since my car is a street car I didn't see a need to add the extra side plate on the end so the lower control arm bolt would go through it. The best part of it is that is was totally free.

post-13052-0-63785800-1459796474.jpg

post-13052-0-62204400-1459796498.jpg

post-13052-0-34556300-1459796526.jpg

Ray1970, It was bent on a machine like this one.,  RPM, you are correct. the bolts will not come out past the cross member, however on my car I have the bolts going in from the front side so they can be removed. also it only takes a minute to remove the cross member.  

post-13052-0-50923800-1459860715.jpg

Looks nice.  Chamfer the bolt holes a little.  The original bolts have a bevel to fit into the chamfered hole on the original cross member.  Since bolts holes are a little over size it prevents movement.  Maybe add some gussets to the formed angles to strengthen them.

I think it was bent by someone jacking up under it. That is a good point to chanfer the bolt edge, I will definitely do that. Possibly 1 gusset on the back edge when mounted in car. I will need 1 side open to get to camber adjusting nut. 

Bent it with a floor jack? You can do better

Was hoping you went off road at speed...Missed every tree and landed on a stone wall at the end only to drive it out throw a swamp. 

(With your best girl) And still get her home on time.............

I didn't make this up........

Truth be told we were a little late....