Sign in to follow this  
Notams

'69 Coupe 70 Bolt-in Glass Conversion Question

Ok. I searched for an answer on this and can't seem to find it. I'm hoping one of you will have an answer.

I am working on a '69 Coupe right now and decided sometime back to go with the 70's bolt in conversion since I needed to replace the scratched and damaged windows all around anyway. I ended up purchasing a complete aftermarket '70 set and I am getting close to the installation stage on this project. I started doing some research on the installation and adjustment process and came across the video link from West Coast Classic Cougar that's been posted here as well. Here is the link again:​

For any of you who have done this before, here is my dilemma. While viewing the video, at around the 39 minute mark, the guy talks about the differences in widths between 69 glue in windows, and 70 bolt in windows. Up until then, I had never heard this mentioned regarding this mod. So I went out into my shop and compared the new 70 door and quarter glass, against the old 69 glass. Sure enough he was spot on. The glass widths are different. The 70 door glass is wider, and the quarter glass is less in width. They changed the widths in 1970 to facilitate putting the channel seal on the quarter window, as opposed to the door window of the 69 glass (better design).

So I immediately started searching to see if those channels were available. I also checked my so called "complete" 70's bolt in kit to see if the channels were provided or if there were instructions for a "work around". Nothing on both fronts. I can find the rubber seals, but not the vertical channels to hold them. Any channel I can find is for the door glass, and not the quarter window. At least, not for a Coupe. 

So my question to those of you who have tackled this: How did you accomplish the conversion? I'm at a loss. Is there a workaround?

​Thanks in advance.

I have done this conversion many times and my 69 conv has 70 coupe glass in it as the glue in stuff was pissing me off.

I have always done the conversion by getting a complete used set out of a donar vehicle.

When you said you bought the aftermarket set, I'm assuming you bought 70 replacement glass.

If this is the case then you need to find the strip you spoke of and you need to buy the bolt on brackets that go on the glass

They say you have to use 1970 window regulators as well but I did not have to change mine and they work fine with the 69s.

Bob

I have always done the conversion by getting a complete used set out of a donar vehicle.

When you said you bought the aftermarket set, I'm assuming you bought 70 replacement glass.

If this is the case then you need to find the strip you spoke of and you need to buy the bolt on brackets that go on the glass

+1 ... You need to find a good used set. They reproduce the fastback version but nothing for the rest of us.

Ok. I was afraid of that. Yeah. I bought the new 70 replacement glass (and bolt/bracket kit), so no channels. And I got the "smoked" version of the windows.

If I bought a set of old 70 quarter windows with the channels, is it possible to remove the channels and re-install them onto my new glass?

I'm also wondering if it is possible to modify something that is already made, to fit the 70 quarter window. This car is far from stock already, so keeping it looking original is not an issue. Something that works and looks good is all I need.

@Rsanter

Hey Bob. I tried sending you a PM but for some reason everytime I try to PM someone, the site tells me the person can't receive any new messages. I'll have to figure out what's up with that.

I noticed in your profile that you're from Visalia. That's my hometown. We may even know each other because we're about the same age. I graduated from Mt. Whitney in 1983. My last name is Grasso.

You can remove the stainless Chanel's from old glass. eBay is a good place to look. It's glued on and is a snug fit but it does come off.

There is also a good chance you'll need '70 regulators...I did when I did mine. There is a small offset in the regulator arm.

Thanks Trinitys. I did send an email to West Coast Cougar. I never heard back from them. I will give them a call tomorrow.

As far as the regulators go, I ordered the '69-'70 power window kit from CJ. Hoping I won't have any issues there.

I don't know if you read my response to Rsanter above, but when I mentioned I tried to send a PM to a couple of people and got the message " so and so cannot receive any new messages", you were the first one I had attempted to contact.