Sign in to follow this  
Tcoco

Help Speedo clicking

Hello guys here is a question first the scenario.

I removed the gauges when I was installing the AC I happened to not snap the cable into place all the way and it popped out but for like 20-30 min while I was was driving the cable was not inserted all the way the needle was at zero but I was hearing it turning in the cable cover.  I stopped and locked the cable into the speedo felt the click everything was fine. I drove to work and on the way home the needle started bouncing and was clicking like the cable was not 100% connected.  My question is I dropped the cable and its still have squared edges but could the gauge itself been rounded where its not making full contact anymore ?

Disconnect it again give the square cable a slight tug and reconnect.  Brian

OK I'll give that a shot it will not disconnect it or drop the speedo gear in the trans right?

Yes the cable will pull out of the gear in the transmission.  Fortunately, the gear will not fall into the transmission.  It's more common to make certain the inner cable is pushed all the way in.  If the inner cable is not pushed all the way in, the cable housing usually will not go onto the back of the speedo completely.

thanks I'll give it a go,  Could the back of the speedo get rounded out? or is there not enough force on the cable to damage it with in 15-20 min when the cable first wiggled out  no 100+mph drive more like 30 so rpms where not that high to be like a drill bit i wouldn't think.

I'm only going based on my Mach 1.  I have a Ford OEM cable assembly, the inner portion extends pretty far and has to be completely in the cable housing for the housing to seat correctly and latch onto the speedo.

If it works with the inner cable pulled out slightly is isn't it possible for it to work its way back down while driving and the speedo stop working? 

Don't count out something wrong with the speedo.  It's difficult to explain.  But if you take one apart it's obvious where that noise could also be coming from inside the speedo.