cobra3073

V-Belt Pulleys for 3G Alternators

For those of you running 3G (Ford) alternators with V-Belts, I am curious as to what pulleys you are using?

I am getting close to installing my 428CJ motor into my '69 Mach 1 and have a number of additions which will require a 3G in my estimation. I am looking at acquiring a '95 Mustang alternator and changing the pulley to a V-Belt.

I would appreciate any inputs to ensure I am not missing something.

Thanks!

BT

I am using a Tuff Stuff silver bullet alternator I bought from Summit. The silver bullet version includes a nice v-belt billet aluminum pulley. It is billed as a hybrid case...GM case with Ford mounting ears.  I had to clock the alt, but it has worked great.

I am using a Tuff Stuff silver bullet alternator I bought from Summit. The silver bullet version includes a nice v-belt billet aluminum pulley. It is billed as a hybrid case...GM case with Ford mounting ears.  I had to clock the alt, but it has worked great.

Yes, I was looking at that one as a "possibility."

What did you do about the harness? That unit did not come with the harness did it? I was looking at this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171981074940?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks!

BT

I did not buy an additional harness for my install. A thread on here somewhere describes how the wires are hooked up in pretty good detail. I don't remember everything, since it was a while ago, but it involoved removing the

voltage regulator since it's now built into the alt itself. 

Yes, I was looking at that one as a "possibility."

What did you do about the harness? That unit did not come with the harness did it? I was looking at this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171981074940?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks!

BT

With that connector from eBay you will still need a power wire, and a 175amp mega fues.

Edit, NOTE, the amp rating of the fues is really dependant on your max current draw, and the size wire you use for connecting the alt to the battery.

With that connector from eBay you will still need a power wire, and a 175amp mega fues.

Edit, NOTE, the amp rating of the fues is really dependant on your max current draw, and the size wire you use for connecting the alt to the battery.

Yes, I was aware of the need for the power wire and mega fuse.

I am still investigating options.

Thanks for the feedback.

BT