Sign in to follow this  
moodster

Running wiring down the passenger side

So I want to run my wiring for headlight relays, extra gauges, etc into the dashboard where I'll put a fuse box behind the glove box and break everything out.  I'm keeping everything hidden so I'm putting a large fuse and solenoid underneath the battery tray and would like to bring the power down the passenger side.  What is the best place to get into the dashboard from the fender well? 

david

David,

When I installed my American Auto Wire Harness I moved the battery to the trunk and ran welding cable from front to back for the battery and starter connections, and also put a 200Amp Automotive breaker in the front along with a Power Lug to run stuff under hood.

If you look on the pass side, there are a few holes in the apron large enough to pass your wire through, then run it along the top of frame rail so it sits in the little channel that is there, then come down the frame rail and get inside the car and pick a spot up on the firewall high enough so its not seen and Drill a hole...You may be able to use the Old AC discharge hose hole also depending on the location of it.

its not a channel exactly, but where the inner fender aprons meet the frame lip I recall there being a little ledge there that I sat my wire on... Ill take a pic this evening for u if u need.

I dirlled 2 holes and then stuck some rubber hose on my welding power cables and pulled it through the firewall and got it into position where it would be from now on and then put metal cable ties on each side of the hose to lock the cable and hose into place so the hose wouldn't move on the cable...it was a snug fit LOL... I figure there is no way the metal will eat through the rubber Fuel line hose AND the welding cable insulation...at least not while im alive

I made an immediate 90* turn coming out of the firewall and went into the fender just under the hood hinge. I covered the wires in that braded split sleeve wire loom and then ran all my wires in the fender in conduit. I did this so the wires would not get damaged from anything the tire tread throws out. I did this on both sides so I have all the wires out of sight under the hood except for the dizzy wires and such. 

DOH! Sorry bout that. I ran my trunk battery cable into the cabin behind the heater box, which sounds like where you want to run your wires. There's a good 2 inches between the box and firewall.

post-5441-0-80077500-1455212497.jpg