JD08

Engine gauge feed harness

Does anyone have a picture of the engine gauge feed harness installed in a 1970  with a 351 Cleveland 4V? The one that was removed was hacked up and spliced and the new one seems awful short in comparison.

What exactly are we talking about?

The flexible plastic circuit board that fits on the back of the instument housing?

Or the 16 pin plastic plug that fits into the oblong hole in back of the housing?

Or something else?

I'm talking about the three wire harness that connects the oil pressure, temp sensor, and coil to the main harness.

My old one was spliced in several places. The new one seems very taut so I want to see the correct routing.

OK, Gotcha.  The engine bay harness.

This is what is on my 69 Mach 1.  Should be the same, I think.....

The plug connects about 6 inches from the firewall, and runs straight across the top of the manifold, along the drivers side of the carburetor.  It is in a single wrap to a point near the rear of the distributor, where the three wires split. 

Oil pressure sensor wire goes through a small retaining tab (metal loop) on the valve cover, then down to the oil pressure sender.

The short wire for the temp sender has the right angle rubber boot, and fits to the temp sender on the manifold, right near the point where the wires 'split' from the wrap.

The wire for coil goes around the passenger side of the water outlet, to the coil BATT post

The wires lay flat without being taut.  Same with the plug, it does not dangle from the firewall, it sort of spans the gap to the engine.  Not excessively tight, but no spare length either.

I've got a little more insight here. I've got an Edelbrock Torker 351 intake and the PO had the coil mounted on the driver side because the fuel lines blocked the coil mounting hole on the passenger side. Apparently I'll have to extend the temp sensor wire also.

20160114_182542.jpg

Right, my apologies, I made the assumprion it was a Windsor engine.    The temp sender on the Cleveland is way at the front of the engine, as opposed to the top of the drivers side manifold  on the W motor.  So that will be a stretch.  Coil wire ought to reach, same with the oil pressure wire, since they are both on the same side?

I wonder if there is a Cleveland specific harness?

I do not like fooling with the sending wires since the resistance value may alter when you add or solder on them.  Maybe not much, and I would hope Midlife can jump in and clarify that, one way or the other.

But, end of the day, it is better to have a working gauge, even if it is a tiny bit inaccurate, than no gauge at all.

If your oil and coil wires reach by going around the drivers side of the carburetor, then a careful and neat extension to the temp wire would do the trick.  Match the gauge of the wire precisely, and shrink wrap to eliminate any water and corrosion at the joins.

The NPD catalog lists a 351C long and short oil sending wire version, but that doesn't solve your issues.  I'd cut the harness somewhere in the middle where is is taped and add the appropriate length wires (butt crimp or solder with shrinkwrap) then re-tape the harness.