Brian Conway

69 Tire Rub ?

Looking at getting a set of 15 X 7 wheels with a 4.25" back space for my 69 Mach 1,  The front end has the Arning-Shelby 1" drop and everything else is stock with KYB shocks all around.  Want to get some tires that don't rub at  all  ever.  Currently running the BF GOODRICH Radial T/A's 215-70-14.  They are OK tires but would like to try something different,  RWL on a 15 x 7 wheel is what I would like.  The front tires seem to be the problem area as I hear the 235-60-15's rub on a bumpy hard turn ?  Seems to be a limited selection for the 14", 15" and 16' wheels.  Any suggestions or first hand experience ?  I realize this post is pretty much a repeat of a previous post but can't seem to locate the ' Delete ' button.  Sorry.  Brian

My tires used to rub on my 69,until I rolled the inside wheel wells front n back. I rented a eastwood fender roller locally and did it myself after watching the Eastwood fender roller do it yourself video on You Tube. Worked great! No regrets!

A reliable tire choice for the 69 and 70 Mustangs in the 15 inch range is

front- 225/60/15 on a 15x7 (4.25" BS)

rear 255/60/15 on a 15x8 (4"BS)

Plenty of room at the rear for bigger.  I run 275/60/15 rears on my 70 with no rub. (225/60/15 front)  Seems that the 235 tire is sometimes a tiny bit too wide for 'some ' 69's  but it depends on a lot of factors like manufacturing tolerances, lowering mods, collision repairs etc.  Fender rolling cures it for most, but not all.