Sign in to follow this  
edwards54

Heater Resistor location

I am trying to put together a wiring mess with my 1969 fastback.  When I purchased the car the wiring was mess and I have many issues solved but others to address.  When looking at the Heater-Air control I see that the wiring is run to a resistor.  I have read that this resistor should be located somewhere on the heater box.  I have the pig tail end to connect to the resistor but I cant find where the resistor is or should be on the heater box.  It is an original A.C. car but I am not even sure if the heater box is original.  So I guess I am wondering if this resistor should be in a standard location on the box.  If it is missing can I just purchase a new resistor and install it somewhere on the heater box.  Any suggestions, pictures or guidence would be appreciated.

Thanks,

thanks for the pictures det0326.

It looks like the blower motor red wire connects to it.  Where does the black wire go or connect to?

Thanks again

Your welcome    The black wire is ground and on mine it connects to the bolt bracket that mounts to the cowl. If you look at the 2nd pic you can see the bolt toward the right side.

So, thanks to the responses within this post, I was able to locate where it should be, saw it was missing, and I purchased a new one.  I played around with it today and was pleasantly surprised when it worked and the wiring that was there was still in tact.  This is saying something because a lot of wires were cut from previous owners.  I just identified a few under-dash light wires that were just cut and left to hang.  At this point I do not think I can install it where it should go because it doesn't seem possible without ripping apart the dash.   Has anyone mounted it someplace different?  Right now I just have it in a house electrical box.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't know if it will last in an electrical box or not I kind of thought that the blower circulated air to help cool it in low and medium speed so that it will last longer but I could be wrong. High speed is direct and doesn't use the resistor coils. 

Dave

69 Rustback,

I have the same set up as yours where the resistor is above the heater motor underneath the drivers dash.  I took off the dash pad and the gauges and now I can see what I am doing kind of, but still having a hard time reaching it.  I have it close to in place but can tell what kind of screw holds it in place.  Do you remember if you used a typical sheet metal screw or some kind of rivet?

Thanks

69 Rustback,

I have the same set up as yours where the resistor is above the heater motor underneath the drivers dash.  I took off the dash pad and the gauges and now I can see what I am doing kind of, but still having a hard time reaching it.  I have it close to in place but can tell what kind of screw holds it in place.  Do you remember if you used a typical sheet metal screw or some kind of rivet?

Thanks

It is a sheet metal screw guessing I would say a number 10 or 12.  it is the same screw that holds the blower motor on if you can get to one of them and take it out to match it up.

Dave