MikeStang

Bit the Bullet and Bought New Headers

Well I decided it was time to put some Good headers on the ol Gal so I called

FPA "Ford Powertrain Applications" and talked to Stan the owner and he sold me on the 1-5/8" to 1-3/4" Stepped header with the Black Ice Coating :-)

I was and still am a little concerned about the 1-5/8" Primary size tube on my 408, even tho its a stepped header, however Stan assured me that their dyno tests on the stepped 1-5/8" Primary actually produced 15 Ftlbs more torque over the 1-3/4" primary and didn't loose any HP at all....... Plus they will be a bit easier to work on with the smaller primary.

I was assured that they would also clear my 4R70W..... So I will let yall know the outcome in 3-4 weeks when they show up.... Oh never thought I would spend $975.00 for a set of headers and a drop bracket for my PS cyl LOL, but I have never had a set of coated headers either haha

He said the ports are actually bigger than the 205's ports are LOL.

So I can only assume they taper down to 1-5/8" tubes.

I didn't ask about the 1-7/8" primaries since he said that I had a few options and tossed out the 1-3/4" and 1-5/8" stepped.

Don't know that I would benefit from 1-7/8" primaries at all.

He said the ports are actually bigger than the 205's ports are LOL.

So I can only assume they taper down to 1-5/8" tubes.

I didn't ask about the 1-7/8" primaries since he said that I had a few options and tossed out the 1-3/4" and 1-5/8" stepped.

Don't know that I would benefit from 1-7/8" primaries at all.

I meant more for me. Lol

He basically said that all their port flanges are the same size regardless of the tubes.

what you'll probably notice if you look, is that they slip the smaller tube into the larger flange and then hammer form the very edge at the cylinder head side. so the taper is really short, probably on the order of .1".

a sanity check besides L and W, is probably area of the port. measure the ID of the head and calculate the inner area (considering tube thickness) of the header tube and compare.

As an example, AFR indicates their 205 renegade head has an exhaust port dimension of 1.4 x 1.4" = 1.96 in^2.

Assume .065 wall thickness 1 5/8 tube has an ID of 1.495" (1.625 - 2 x 0.065). The resultant area is 1.75 in^2 for that tube. Or .21 in^2 less than the cylinder head.

Buckeye, they wont be dimpling the tubes as he said they will be using the outer bolt holes for the flange.

He seemed to know pretty much exactly what the AFR 205's consisted of when we spoke.....I don't think I will see any loss or real gain in performance by installing these headers really.

I got them for a few reasons... #1. my Home made headers are leaking and I wont be attempting to fix them #2. these headers are supposed to bolt right in with no modification, and I want at least ONE thing on this car to be a bolt in and fit thing LOL. #3. I just wanted them.

FPA Headers are very nice and the best I have ever used.  The returned 1 3/4 headers had welds inside the flange ports that reduced the opening enough to encroach on my AFR205's..  Stan replaced them with no problem.  My 1 3/4 long tube headers with wide bolt pattern dropped right in with my FMX and my TKO and fit perfect with my 205's.  They have been on my car for quite a few years and still are in perfect shape.   

Oh never thought I would spend $975.00 for a set of headers and a drop bracket for my PS cyl LOL, but I have never had a set of coated headers either haha

Try living in Australia and ordering a set. I got mine not long ago and they owed me $1700 by the time I picked them up.

They sure do look great though! Not the best photo sorry as I took it at night.

20150502_192140_zps8vnn6mxu.jpg

20150502_192238_zpsyuxojwwv.jpg