Kaspar

Mufflers. Wanna change from Magnaflows

I had the VT mufflers on my car for almost 2 years and the are still operating as designed, no complaints, so far so good.

They come with a Limited lifetime warranty, so if something did go wrong with the flapper assembly, Dynomax would replace the muffler.

I started seeing those VT mufflers in Ford Racing catalogs a long time ago, 6-8 years.  My first thought was how long will that trap door keep working?  Either the spring will go bad or the door will start sticking from carbon build-up.  Great idea, but I wouldn't think the door would last the life of the muffler.

from Dynomax

http://www.dynomax.com/faq/

Q.) How long will the internal valve spring last?

A.) The valve spring is constructed from a corrosion and heat resistant superalloy that is guaranteed to last the life of your vehicle. The high temperature properties of this material have exceeded extreme environmental testing with over 2,000,000 cycles.

Q.) Are DynoMax® VT™ mufflers stainless steel?

A.) Yes, DynoMax® VT™ mufflers are constructed from 409 stainless steel.

I would think they would make the tolerances pretty loose just to ensure carbon buildup wouldn't lead to sticking (can't imagine a little leak at low rpm would make a difference.)

I have the Borla Pro XS Mufflers on my car right now with 2.5" Pipe and an X-Over and both pipes run over the axle and out the back, but I had them do a little turn down right at the rear valvnce.... My car is quiet at idle and sounds great when your on it but its still too loud inside the car....Its louder than my friends 69 with Magnaflow complete exhaust.

I have lizard skin sprayed inside and out on my car with Dynamat on the entire floor, Roof and inside both doors.

I have run the Dynomax Super Turbos before on my TA and loved them....Quiet in the car, no drone, and loud when WOT.... And they actually OUTFLOW Magnaflow and Slowmaster..... I have some Db results and flow sheets somewhere that show the info.

The guys over at the Performanceyears.com forums did the testing.... I believe it was Tom and Jim Hand who did the testing on over 40 mufflers and recorded the results as well as did sound clips for all of them at different Rpm's

MikeStang please pass those test sheets along, if you have a copy of them. Would be interesting to see. Of course I wouldn't want to loose too mich power by making it more quiet. Won't a cat kill some power?

MikeStang please pass those test sheets along, if you have a copy of them. Would be interesting to see. Of course I wouldn't want to loose too mich power by making it more quiet. Won't a cat kill some power?

Yes, a cat will kill some power. But more importantly, I would never put a cat on a car that wasn't designed for one due to it likely failing (breaking/clogging) in a short amount of time.