Ridge Runner

What was the first car you bought and paid for

I bought a friend's high school car, a '66 Mustang coupe with I6 and no options but it had been redone to a pretty good condition. In '91 I paid $2k for it. I sold it a couple years later for the same $2k. My next  car was the '69 coupe I currently own and will never get rid of. My wife and I dated in that car and we've worked on it together this entire time. In fact, I thought about selling it a couple times and she wouldn't let me. I guess that's why I married her.

My first car, bought in 1973, was a 69 Mustang Grande, candy apple red with a black vinyl top, 351W with an FMX trans and only 34,000 miles.

I drove it for 3 years and then converted it into a Drag Racing car, initially running in NHRA FS/A (F stock automatic), and later running a Modified Production class...   I swapped the entire drive train into a 69 Montego in 1981 and sold the Mustang body in 1983.

I currently have another 1969 Mustang Coupe that I am restoring and improving.

Having worked as an Electronics Design Engineer and a Mechanical Engineer in the automotive field for 30 years, I am going to make this a One of a Kind Coupe.

I have a 5.0 HO engine with aluminum heads, GT 40 Intake, TFS Stage 2 Hyd. Roller cam, 75 mm Throttle Body and 30 Lb injectors.  Should be around 400 HP. I have built a Mega Squirt 2 / Extra processor and will be tuning it myself.

I also have 4R70W transmission and I am designing, building and programming the electronic controller for it myself.

The rear end is an 8.8" Exploder unit with 3.73 gears, Traction-Loc and 31 spline axles.  It has been narrowed to accept 2 Passenger side (Short) axles.

I am also well into several electronic projects for this car. I have designed completely new gauges to fit into the stock locations. They are all microprocessor controlled, micro-stepper motor driven gauges like on all new cars. and there will be OLED message displays under both the Speedo and Tach.  I am currently working on making them invisible until the vehicle is turned on, and then the white LED Backlighting will make them appear.

Since all gauges will have digital inputs, it was easy to configure the speedometer to output a 4000 pulse per mile signal so I will also have Cruise Control.

I am also in the process of making a Body Control Module that will allow for such things as Push Button Starting, Ambient light sensor to automatically turn the headlights on and off, Sequential turn signals for the rear and the indicator lights at the rear of the hood scoop, and a unique random appearing sequential 3rd brake light. Having just been rear ended in my truck by an inattentive driver, I want MAXIMUM visibilty when stopping or turning.

I have also converted the Sport mirrors to power mirrors with turn indicator LED's, power windows for all 4 windows using pancake motors similar to what was used in Cougars.

The door handles will be shaved, and since the trunk will be opened by pushing a button, the trunk lock cylinder will be replaced with a rear view camera. I have already cutout and made mounting provisions for a 7" video screen in the passenger side dash panel (Grande - Mach 1 style) and I have a stereo/DVD player with a 3.4" screen in the dash.

Many more things in the works...  I ordered custom Black and Charcoal Carbon Fiber vinyl upholstery from TMI that should be here in the next week or two.  And I'll also have to build a custom console to house the Power Window / Power Mirror switch module that I got from a 2013 Escape.

This is a VERY ambitious undertaking, but I have nearly everything here to complete this project, I just need to find more time and I need to stay focused.  I'm hoping to have it on the road in three years, but we'll see how that works out, LOL!!!

All you damn engineers!  :) Sorry, I'm a bit jealous.

You lost me after "I currently have another 1969 Mustang". Make sure you do a Project Progress thread to keep us updated. I like the push button start and camera ideas. As they say in Vegas, good luck!