jfried

VIN Engine Code Confusion

1st thing I would do is verify the Vin on the door tag matches with the Vin up on the dash area. If they match I am stumped as to why the registration says it's a 6cyl car. As far as the rear end change the 6s and the reg 302 along with the 351w 2v came with an 8" rear. The Boss cars, 351w 4v,and the big blocks came with 9" rears. It's possible when the v8 was put in the owner wanted a 9". But the rear will have to be visually checked to see what it is for sure.

H code cars got 9" rears standard from the factory. Usually non-posi, highway geared 28 spline affairs, but they were 9" rears.

the vin stamped under the fender is the correct legal vin for that section of the car. if it is different from the other vins i would not touch it. it could also be that if the fender vin does not match the others it was a section that was removed from another car and installed.

i did not post these stupid photos below.

5th digit of the VIN # is the engine code, providing the shock towers haven't been altered or replaced the vin # should be stamped on both sides passenger and driver's side upper/outer lip of the shock tower and yes you will have to remove the fenders to see them, that number should match the vin plate on the dash, the guy probably won't let you remove the fender to see it so buyer beware, also the driver door tag should match the dash and shock tower number but would not be surprised if it doesn't, doors rust out, get damaged/replaced so sometimes the original door tag is there, sometimes not. The door tag if original to the car will also provide all the other options, trim, rearend, convert/sportsroof/coupe etc. etc. hope this helps

Thanks for all the help guys.

Here's what I've got:

Dash tag is visible, matches. (I guess i just didn't notice it before)

Door tag is obviously visible, and what I was going off initially.

He's got an album of the restoration of the car, including a picture of the vin from when the fender was off.

I'm reasonably satisfied, even though I am still having trouble understanding why somebody would put a total v6 drivetrain into a v8 car...

Like what was said earlier, insurance, gas mileage, and maybe they had easy cheap access to the I6 and drivetrain from a low mile donor car. Some just like Mustangs for what they are, not everyone wants it for being a muscle car. :) But glad you were able to solve the Vin issue, hope you have a great time building what you want!!!!