MikeStang

Finishing out inside the Trunk Area and cabin noise reduction

Okay guys since my car is now on the road and I'm tinkering with working out the vibrations and noise etc I decided the other night after I shimmed the rear end that I Wanted to look into reducing the noise in the passenger compartment.

I already have a coat of lizard skin under the bottom of the car and inside on the floors, along with inside the doors and on the roof and before I installed the interior, I Dynomatted the roof, the floors and inside the doors as well so its pretty damn solid, however I have a lot of exhaust noise coming into the car partly because of the turn downs just before the axle and due to the fact that the only thing stopping the noise from the open trunk area is the seat and back metal deck that just has a piece of white lexan type material bent to fit the area.

So I decided to remove the back seat and the deck and went and bought some 1/8" thick board that is used for peg boards but without the holes....its smooth on one side and rough on the other but is very flexible so I knew it would contour to the curvature of the area behind the seat. 

So I made a cardboard template and cut my wood and installed it then sealed with spray foam and it looks nice and made a big difference in sound levels.

So now here is one of my questions...... What have any of you done to seal off the area that is in between the outer sheet metal and the sub structure behind the sail panels.....this area is open from the trunk all the way through to the rear of the door pillars, its just a big old open space.

I was considering finding a point where it was narrow enough for me to cut a piece of foam or something in the shape of the area and then filling the back side with expandable foam....Thoughts?

Question #2 do any of you have some pics of your trunks finished out, and by finished out I mean with wood and carpet or wood and leather / or vinyl...

I need some build pics to get Ideas.

My battery is in the trunk and so I would need to be able to access the area on that side and I would like storage behind the other side so I need Ideas on how to fasten the panels in place but yet makes the accessible without the need for hand tools to open them.

My car had this thick alsphalt mat stuff with this unidentified stuff on top of it on the wheelhouses and front of the quarter panel. I don't think it's factory as I haven't seen any other cars with it.But my car was pretty quiet. The rocker panel section behind the door was filled with this asphalt also, but then again, it rusted out.

8153420817_aa90156b39_b.jpg

8153632095_e812235f4d_b.jpg1

8153459360_7d8729ab72_b.jpg

However, with exhaust dumps before the axle, your car is never gonna be quiet. The best you can do is to add an X-pipe to the aexhaust system, it quiets it down a bit. I would try with a foam type or cloth type insulation ontop of the dynamat. Dynamat is more a resonance barrier than a sound deadner.

I used RaaMat on my car with the foam insulation over top of that and it does well.  Like Fvike said, I think the best bet would be full exhaust.  I had a car with turn downs......once..haha.

Anyway here is a quick pic of my trunk. 

4836750330_1b07412a14_b.jpg

Just had my tail pipes added...I went UNDER the rear end and ran em both out the passenger side due to the fuel pump and stuff on the driver side....It made a pretty good difference but not as much as I want yet.

I did wall off the curved area behind the seat and I have room between that board and the rear seat for my sub box that I need to build...Scored 2 Punch R1's and an AMP for 100 bucks :)

I need some good shots of those inside panels in the trunk and how did you attach them.