Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Slapper Bars with Reverse Eye Springs

I'm not a fan of slapper bars but a friend gave me a set like I have never seen Before so I decided to try them out.

They differ from the cheap normal ones in that they have the shock mount tab for staggered shocks if you have them, they are about twice as heavy in construction and wall thickness as normal bars, plus they have the U bolt shackles in the front at rear of the main mount points.

I have never seen another set that was this well constructed, and the powder coating is perfect... I cant find a name on them anywhere however LOL..

So I decided to mount them and try them out on my car with 4.5 leaf reverse eye springs....I got them mounted up only to find that they are just a little too short to contact the front spring eye like they should, and because of the reverse spring eye the bar tip would be hitting metal to metal before the rubber snubber actually contacted the spring its self HAHA.

PLUS the little cross bars that are welded on to the slappers stick out too far and contact my leaf springs so they will have to go.

Im planning on just adding some length to the front of them and cutting the rubber snubbers to fit.

funny part is there is only going to be about 3/8" of snubber left haha...Guys a reverse eye spring changes all kinds of shit if you decide to run them remember this.

I built some shelby style bars and used Heim Joints...They worked wonderful in turns and on deceleration but didnt do squat for helping the car hook up on take off, plus they were noisy with the Heim Joints

I am familiar with them. They are the best type of slapped bar available.

The act that they do not go all the way to the spring eye is not a problem. The snubber can contact right behind it and it will be fine.

Cut a little off the end of them so they don't hit metal to metal. Then either trim it use washer spacers on the rubber snubber to set the amount of axle wrap you will allow before you want it to stop. Generally you do not want zero. A gap of a 1/4" is nice but you can have a little less.

The square U bolt at the front is adjusted to restrict the reverse axle wrap. Install a piece of hose on the square U bolt to brevet noise from metal to metal contact. Again adjust to tune the amount of reverse wrap you want to allow, you do not need to allow much

Bob

Ranster, I was under the impression you Didnt want the snubber to hit on the leaf spring itself because then you are helping to warp the spring in an already weak spot?

These bars were on my friends car with a standard and a 408 and that car would wheel hop like crazy.... Thats probably why the axle broke....He wheel hopped it 2 times at the track and then I climbed in it and Launched it like its supposed to be done and on the 2nd trip for me the car came out of the hole like a beast than about 20' out bam.... broke axle....I always tell him he cracked it and I finished it off HAHA.

I may try them like you said and see what happens in my auto

So i forgot to take pics last night but I did get everything cut and installed as per your advice Rsanter.

I am going to need taller Rubber Snubbers since we had chopped the ones on the bars down already for my friends car, and I had to cut the inside cross shackle piece off the front of the bar on both sides because it was hitting the Frame.

Aside from that the bars went on with no problems.

I got to do a small amount of riding and I could feel them working but they definatley need the taller snubbers because by the time they work its too late and I'm spinning, but I dont have any wheel hop with them but then again I didn't have any to begin with.

Also I may have to use the 2nd hole for the new Snubber's because they actually contact the side of the spring eye when they are lifting apparently because there were black rubber marks on the side of the eye LOL....Ill play with them and see what happens.

Now there is a rear cross bar shackle as well....how far down should I snug this thing because I dont see it doing any good for anything because the bar is mounted solid and just pulling on a little Ubolt on the rear aint gonna do squat