Sign in to follow this  
Protowrxs

Lug Nut / Drum Retainer / What is it called?

Anyone remember those thin metal "lug nuts" that held on the rear drums on Fords back in the day?

The things that you threw away because they were a pain to put back on and get off? Or is it just me? :blink:

Anyhow, I've searched around for what I thought they may be called but can't come up with anything. I really would like at least a couple to hold the SN95 rear rotors on the axles when the wheels are off my Stang.

I'm sure I've thrown more away than I need or stuffed some off somewhere in my garage but haven't been able to locate any.

Surely someone like RockAuto or eBay should have some if I just knew what to call them?

Thanks for any info

Stephen

Anyone remember those thin metal "lug nuts" that held on the rear drums on Fords back in the day?

The things that you threw away because they were a pain to put back on and get off? Or is it just me? :blink:

Anyhow, I've searched around for what I thought they may be called but can't come up with anything. I really would like at least a couple to hold the SN95 rear rotors on the axles when the wheels are off my Stang.

I'm sure I've thrown more away than I need or stuffed some off somewhere in my garage but haven't been able to locate any.

Surely someone like RockAuto or eBay should have some if I just knew what to call them?

Thanks for any info

Stephen

In the past, I've read they were possibly used just to keep the drums from falling off as the car made its way down the assembly line before the wheels and tires were put on. Could just be an urban myth, though.

http://www.championfalcon.com/6567-falcon-brake-drum-retainer-clip-set-p-17081.html

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/speed_nut_brake_drum_retaining_2-101153-0.html

In the past, I've read they were possibly used just to keep the drums from falling off as the car made its way down the assembly line before the wheels and tires were put on. Could just be an urban myth, though.

http://www.championfalcon.com/6567-falcon-brake-drum-retainer-clip-set-p-17081.html

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/speed_nut_brake_drum_retaining_2-101153-0.html

Thanks for the info! Could well be on assembly, would make sense. I never thought about calling them "clips", I wonder if they were just pushed on at the factory.

Just sounded like an easy way to keep the rear rotors from wobbling around with the wheels off, have to pick me up a set.

Thanks again!

Stephen

Thanks for the info! Could well be on assembly, would make sense. I never thought about calling them "clips", I wonder if they were just pushed on at the factory.

Just sounded like an easy way to keep the rear rotors from wobbling around with the wheels off, have to pick me up a set.

Thanks again!

Stephen

Those push on star washers are what your talking about right?

Exactly like what Manley posted above. I didn't think about calling them clips or washers. Those sources are what I want but shipping is killer so I'll have to wait until I may have a larger order or bundled somehow.

Stephen

Those were installed to hold the drum on during assembly. Every new Ford or GM car I worked on with brake drums that slipped over a hub or axle had them. Even into the late 1980's. I've purchased them at a Body and Paint supply store. They called them push nuts where I bought them. You can probably even find them at a Napa auto parts store.

I remember when I had my first job out of school doing new car prep at a Ford dealer they were on the rear wheel studs to hold the brake drums tight to the axles. They looked like speed nuts, & they got cut & pulled off the first time the rear brakes were checked & never put back on.