Sign in to follow this  
ardenq

10K to spend in upgrades, need idea's?!?

Sorry to high jack this thread for a sec, but Barnett, when you say "every original parts", all I can think of are the original lever, the original knob (needs to be refurbished), and the original shifter rods assembly (4-speed manual). Are there any other sought after parts I am missing?

With a new Hurst installed, there is no way I am moving back to the OEM set-up...

Sorry to high jack this thread for a sec, but Barnett, when you say "every original parts", all I can think of are the original lever, the original knob (needs to be refurbished), and the original shifter rods assembly (4-speed manual). Are there any other sought after parts I am missing?

With a new Hurst installed, there is no way I am moving back to the OEM set-up...

sorry but i dont understand exactly what you want to know . . the 69 shifter is a total pos . . most people installed a hurst and threw the orig in the trash .. . the only reason to use one is for mca concours shows.

Well, exactly.

The original is such a mechanical "POS", even in good condition, that I find your previous statements surprising. Discussing it with all my friends back home (somewhere in Europe), who restored 69s as well, they would not believe me. So I just wanted a little more detail. As most of us here, I could definitely use $600 elsewhere on the car. So I understand MCA restorers are the ones who might need this.

That's all I was asking for. Thanks.

If it were me I would:

1. Upgrade to front Disc Brakes. This guy is in Austin:

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%20Disc%20Brake%20Conversion%20Kits%20SWAP1.html

2. Add AC. These guys are in San Antonio:

http://www.vintageair.com/index.asp

3. Possibly redo the suspension with OpenTracker Products

Then drive it. Don't do anything else for a while and then decide what you need to do.

1st thing i'd do at least power conversion with disk brakes up front.

2nd convert to 5 speed.

3 rd change to rack and pinion, especially if current system is worn.

These changes really change the whole driving personality of the car for some thats good others bad. but if one is really concerned about maintaining that 45 yr old driving memory, just step back and look at the car or watch everyone look at it as you drive by.

Oh and i'd get one of those console cup holders, people from 69 wern't as concerned about dehydration as these days