Sign in to follow this  
SpicyD

Why I'm here!

Hey forum members. So I just joined this site, and the reason I did is because I'm interested in muscle cars, Mustangs specifically(Duh). My brother was the one that introduced me to the inner workings of vehicles. I watched him take an old '79 Pick up truck, disassemble the engine, and rebuild it from the ground up. He is very knowledgeable about the inner workings of his truck, and being that knowledgeable is something I have always wanted to be. He wants me to build a Bronco with him, but I'd rather build a Mustang. I realize this is pretty lengthy and personal, but if anyone could refer me to another post, or even a website that explains what affects what when it comes to an engine, that would be awesome. I want to be able to think of an engine build, know what I would get out of said engine build, and know the pros and cons so that when I get some money (I'm in college right now) I can build one from the ground up with him. I have the resources available to me right now, because I live near an uncle who used to be a mechanic back in the day, and he has just about every possible tool necessary to rebuild every aspect of the car. This post probably doesn't make much sense, but regardless any information would be greatly appreciated!

If you read this I appreciate it! I hope to come back here more and more often as I learn more and more about Mustangs, and why they're so awesome.

*Edit* Not sure if I should post this here, since this is general, but it's also technical. I figured if I were to get answers this is where I would get them.

There are several good books to reference, I liked "how to rebuild small block Fords" when going thru mine and there is also a companion one called "how to build big inch small block fords" which shows you recipes for building stroker motors.

Welcome BTW.

Thanks guys! I'll see if I can find those books somewhere, I'm actually looking into buying a Mustang but I've gotta do it through craigslist, and I've gotta find a great offer cause I'm in college and don't have a job yet. Always looking though!

Post where you are. I saw a 70 fastback locally on CL that looked pretty good. I was very tempted to buy it just to have it. It needed a lot of work but....

I just did :thumbup:

Always checking Craigslist for some good deals, I really need a job though. According to my brother rust on Mustangs is everything, he said that there are some hard to get to places, and if they're rusted its bad. So that's a big thing too, and being in Illinois that's not easy to find!

Max power provided you with everything you need in that link. Lots of good books.

Welcome to the forum. I am a lot like you. I just finished college in May and bought myself a mustang in 2012. I am slowly fixing it up and almost have it running.

Learning about cars in invaluable (until hover craft catch on) and the knowledge your brother has will be the best book you can have. I'm the most mechanically inclined in my family and really the only one who likes working on cars so learning has been through doing as well as books.

Rust sucks! Come to AZ where there are plenty of "rust free" mustangs!

Good luck!

69volunteer- Interesting Craigslist, " sitting on 1991 Lincoln mark 7 lsc chaissis".

Is that possible????

Not sure that is possible with unibodys. Also, turn a Mach 1 into a Boss 302 clone? That sounds pretty stupid.

There are kits that put a full frame under a mustang shell. more for road racers, and gets rid of unibody flex I suppose

here is one example

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/1964-1973-mustang-chassis-full-frame/

man, but once you start adding the other stuff they offer the basic build comes out to 16k...yikes.

good idea though.

well figure if you spend all new on front aftermarket suspension and a better than leaf spring rear end setup. the price climbs fast, I figured I would build my 66 coupe project for around 15k, well now its probly going to be double. and I wont be road racing lol. some pockets are deeper than others, one guy local built his 30's ford, and he has probly around 150k + in it.