Sign in to follow this  
1969Fstback

Picking distributor

69 fast back with original 302. It has a duraspark II ignition. I fought spark issues all summer. I put new icm and mad coil on, mad cap and rotor and 9mm for wires. Still not where it needs to be. I am gonna replace the distributor.

So with that setup what a good distributor?

Thanks

69 fast back with original 302. It has a duraspark II ignition. I fought spark issues all summer. I put new icm and mad coil on, mad cap and rotor and 9mm for wires. Still not where it needs to be. I am gonna replace the distributor.

So with that setup what a good distributor?

Thanks

hello;

what is your goal?

what is your compression?

what heads do you have?

small, medium or big cam?

any us made distributor is good.

make sure the gear material is compatible with your cam.

a good place to start with the timing is plug the dist vac adv.

set idle timing to 10 degrees btdc.

set the total timing so it is around 32 degrees at 2800 - 3000 rpm.

hello;

what is your goal?

what is your compression?

what heads do you have?

small, medium or big cam?

any us made distributor is good.

make sure the gear material is compatible with your cam.

a good place to start with the timing is plug the dist vac adv.

set idle timing to 10 degrees btdc.

set the total timing so it is around 32 degrees at 2800 - 3000 rpm.

Goal is vague, just run better and more reliable. Not race. Compression and heads are uknown, it has a little cam.

Not so much looking for brand, but let's say can I use a pertronix for a 69 302 or do I need to get one compatable with a duraspark?

Goal is vague, just run better and more reliable. Not race. Compression and heads are uknown, it has a little cam.

Not so much looking for brand, but let's say can I use a pertronix for a 69 302 or do I need to get one compatable with a duraspark?

I'm sure Barnett can help you setup a stock distributor. In my opinion, if you are going to invest in a new distributor, do not replace with a stock unit, or install a Pertronix igniter in a stock distributor. Mainly because the advance curves are not as adjustable and more difficult to adjust on stock distributors. If you are partial to MSD their Small Base Pro Billet distributors have the least issues with clearance to air cleaners etc. I believe they are available with and without vacuum advance units. Plus if you want a large dist cap you can add a Cap-Adapt to the Small Base Pro Billet distributor. An MSD should trigger your Duraspark, although I would verify this with MSD to be certain. Also, make sure the distributor gear is compatible with your cam. The gears can be changed, but not as easily without a hydraulic press, and the location of the gear on the shaft is very critical.

I'm sure Barnett can help you setup a stock distributor. In my opinion, if you are going to invest in a new distributor, do not replace with a stock unit, or install a Pertronix igniter in a stock distributor. Mainly because the advance curves are not as adjustable and more difficult to adjust on stock distributors. If you are partial to MSD their Small Base Pro Billet distributors have the least issues with clearance to air cleaners etc. I believe they are available with and without vacuum advance units. Plus if you want a large dist cap you can add a Cap-Adapt to the Small Base Pro Billet distributor. An MSD should trigger your Duraspark, although I would verify this with MSD to be certain. Also, make sure the distributor gear is compatible with your cam. The gears can be changed, but not as easily without a hydraulic press, and the location of the gear on the shaft is very critical.

why would you want to put a pertronix on a duraspark distributor.

i would consider tossing the duraspark on ehay and just run a stock distributor . . i can tell you how to curve the advance if you know how to use a timing lite and set points, otherwise you can get an msd or accell distributor but you still need to curve the advance.

also, depending on how your duraspark is connected, it may retard the timing when you start it which is unnecessary in your case.

the msd is $220.0 or more but it is shiny.

the pertronix for a stock distributor is $100.00

the correct vacuum advance can for a stock distributor is 25.00.

the springs to recurve the stock distributor are 6.00.

a stock "rebuilt" distributor is around $60.00.

Edited by barnett468

why would you want to put a pertronix on a duraspark distributor.

i would consider tossing the duraspark on ehay and just run a stock distributor . . i can tell you how to curve the advance if you know how to use a timing lite and set points, otherwise you can get an msd or accell distributor but you still need to curve the advance.

also, depending on how your duraspark is connected, it may retard the timing when you start it which is unnecessary in your case.

the msd is $220.0 or more but it is shiny.

the pertronix for a stock distributor is $100.00

the correct vacuum advance can for a stock distributor is 25.00.

the springs to recurve the stock distributor are 6.00.

a stock "rebuilt" distributor is around $60.00.

Edited by barnett468

I believe there are some MSD devises designed specifically to retard the ignition timing while starting. I run a MSD Small Base Pro Billet distributor on a 351W with the MSD 6ALN ignition box and I don't have any timing retard during start up.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

I believe there are some MSD devises designed specifically to retard the ignition timing while starting. I run a MSD Small Base Pro Billet distributor on a 351W with the MSD 6ALN ignition box and I don't have any timing retard during start up.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

I've run MSD Ready-to-Run distributors in both my Mustang and Torino and loved them. Best thing is the Ready-to-Run models don't use the external MSD box, it's all internal. Super easy to hook up and never had any issues with them.

I've run MSD Ready-to-Run distributors in both my Mustang and Torino and loved them. Best thing is the Ready-to-Run models don't use the external MSD box, it's all internal. Super easy to hook up and never had any issues with them.

Unfortunately the "Ready to run" MSD distributors still need the timing curve set to your specific engine if you want to get optimum performance from it.

From MSD

"Different advance springs and stop bushings are supplied so you can easily tune a curve to match your needs. Plus, there is a vacuum advance canister to increase economy on long drives."

Unfortunately the "Ready to run" MSD distributors still need the timing curve set to your specific engine if you want to get optimum performance from it.

From MSD

"Different advance springs and stop bushings are supplied so you can easily tune a curve to match your needs. Plus, there is a vacuum advance canister to increase economy on long drives."

As far as I know the Ready-To-Run distributors do not need an external ignition box. The Ready-To-Run distributors are an inductive type of ignition as opposed to a capacitive discharge type of ignition. The inductive type is more reliable but doesn't produce the multiple spark as the CD type does. OEM ignitions are inductive type.

The Ready-To-Run distributors are taller, you can compare with MSD's online catalog. So be certain you wont have clearance issues. For example, if your air cleaner currently goes over the top of you distributor, or you have a Monte Carlo Bar that passes over the distributor. These things may not be critical on a 302 but I have found them to be critical on 351W motors.

As far as I know the Ready-To-Run distributors do not need an external ignition box. The Ready-To-Run distributors are an inductive type of ignition as opposed to a capacitive discharge type of ignition. The inductive type is more reliable but doesn't produce the multiple spark as the CD type does. OEM ignitions are inductive type.

The Ready-To-Run distributors are taller, you can compare with MSD's online catalog. So be certain you wont have clearance issues. For example, if your air cleaner currently goes over the top of you distributor, or you have a Monte Carlo Bar that passes over the distributor. These things may not be critical on a 302 but I have found them to be critical on 351W motors.