Sign in to follow this  
JoeyS

Woodgrain gauge panel

My 70 Mustang with Decor group interior is missing the woodgrain panel around the gauges. It looks like a standard black gauge cluster without the woodgrain. The Decor group is similar to the 69 luxury option.

I found a used woodgrain panel but am I missing another piece? It appears the panel has tabs that are inserted then bent down to attach but my gauge cluster has no slots to accept the tabs.

What would the part number be or the name of this missing part? I think its a plastic part with chrome finish. Are these reproduced?

I appreciate any additional information.

Joe

My 70 Mustang with Decor group interior is missing the woodgrain panel around the gauges. It looks like a standard black gauge cluster without the woodgrain. The Decor group is similar to the 69 luxury option.

I found a used woodgrain panel but am I missing another piece? It appears the panel has tabs that are inserted then bent down to attach but my gauge cluster has no slots to accept the tabs.

What would the part number be or the name of this missing part? I think its a plastic part with chrome finish. Are these reproduced?

I appreciate any additional information.

Joe

I still have mine apart to restore. I took it apart several months ago and still remains in this state so if pictures will help you I can post some for you. I cannot remember anything being between the wood grain panel and the cluster. As you said the tabs as I remember go through the cluster and are bent on the back side. If you need pic's let me know and I can post some tomorrow.

Dave

Oh and BTW forgot to mention mine is a 1969 don't know if there is a difference or not.

Edited by det0326

I still have mine apart to restore. I took it apart several months ago and still remains in this state so if pictures will help you I can post some for you. I cannot remember anything being between the wood grain panel and the cluster. As you said the tabs as I remember go through the cluster and are bent on the back side. If you need pic's let me know and I can post some tomorrow.

Dave

Oh and BTW forgot to mention mine is a 1969 don't know if there is a difference or not.

Edited by det0326

Your referring to the "Deluxe" instrument bezel

http://www.cjponyparts.com/instrument-bezel-deluxe-1969/p/IB41/

Unfortunately, the 69 is the only Deluxe reproduction bezel made.

Both the 69 and 70 deluxe bezel look identical. However, there is a difference where it meets the steering column. Since the 70 steering column is much larger in diameter, the portion of the bezel where it meets the column is bigger. Therefore, the 69 deluxe bezel will not fit a 70 column. Even the wood grain panel is different. The 70 wood grain panel will have a slight relief at the base for the column as well.

Look at the used ones on ebay and you will see what I mean

Both the 69 and 70 deluxe bezel look identical. However, there is a difference where it meets the steering column. Since the 70 steering column is much larger in diameter, the portion of the bezel where it meets the column is bigger. Therefore, the 69 deluxe bezel will not fit a 70 column. Even the wood grain panel is different. The 70 wood grain panel will have a slight relief at the base for the column as well.

Thanks for the info, I mistakenly referred to the 69 version as the luxury option, it should have been deluxe.

The link and picture helps. It shows a 69 with slots for tabs. I understand the 70 has a slight opening radius at center bottom.

I think my issue is that I have an incorrect standard gauge instrument cluster in a deluxe interior car. That's why I was confused.

I appreciate all the help.

Joe

Thanks for the info, I mistakenly referred to the 69 version as the luxury option, it should have been deluxe.

The link and picture helps. It shows a 69 with slots for tabs. I understand the 70 has a slight opening radius at center bottom.

I think my issue is that I have an incorrect standard gauge instrument cluster in a deluxe interior car. That's why I was confused.

I appreciate all the help.

Joe

Wycked69, is the larger diameter '70 column due to the ignition switch being added in '70. Dave R.

Wycked69, is the larger diameter '70 column due to the ignition switch being added in '70. Dave R.