Sign in to follow this  
5literfever

Wiring harness recommendations

I installed an AAW harness in my car a few months ago.

Its got really good quality wire and fuse box with plenty of extra spots for upgrades.

every wire is labeled as to where it goes and once you figure out how to do one circuit its easy as pie after that....I would venture to say that If someone had a harness out I could probably almost have an AAW harness installed in 1 day by myself...

its a very good way to go if your wanting an upgrade...

I do suggest leaving the lower dash in and taking pictures of the old harness routing so you can put your new harness in the same location, but they have plenty of extra wire with their kit so you can adjust the harness as needed.

+1. I learned a ton from installing mine and the service was very helpful when I failed to read all the directions.

The one thing I will point out is that you will need tools to make the crimps. I ended up buying their set of double crimps (which I am open to renting/selling if anyone needs them) and a standard size crimper (which I now use all the time).

Fortunately my harness was untampered and still in good shape. I did rebuild most of the harness that goes from the firewall to the front of the car and to the alternator. With that said, I looked at harnesses from Painless and AAW. My opinion is they are overpriced for what you get. A lot of unwrapped wire with crimped connectors that sometimes corrode and fail with time because they are not sealed. I solder and shrink tube seal all my wire connectors and splices. I will admit the modern fuse box in the Painless and AAW harnesses are an improvement. If the OEM harness will fit your needs look at Midlife or an OEM style replacement. In my opinion, overall the OEM harness is better quality.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

Fortunately my harness was untampered and still in good shape. I did rebuild most of the harness that goes from the firewall to the front of the car and to the alternator. With that said, I looked at harnesses from Painless and AAW. My opinion is they are overpriced for what you get. A lot of unwrapped wire with crimped connectors that sometimes corrode and fail with time because they are not sealed. I solder and shrink tube seal all my wire connectors and splices. I will admit the modern fuse box in the Painless and AAW harnesses are an improvement. If the OEM harness will fit your needs look at Midlife or an OEM style replacement. In my opinion, overall the OEM harness is better quality.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

Thanks for all of the kind words. My services are not for everyone: if you want to really modify the car, the aftermarket kits are the way to go. But I will agree that they are overpriced as are the reproduction stock wiring harnesses.

Thanks for all of the kind words. My services are not for everyone: if you want to really modify the car, the aftermarket kits are the way to go. But I will agree that they are overpriced as are the reproduction stock wiring harnesses.