Sign in to follow this  
texas_snake

Ammeter check and consider conversion to voltmeter?

So I have my dash apart and going through all the components. I put on a new circuit board. All things worked before, but it was in bad shape.

The ammeter has never seemed to move, just sits in the middle. I tested it to see if it would twitch when I turn on the lights or brake and nothing.

So while things were out, I tested it with a electrical pen light. Here is what I found when sitting in the drivers seat with it semi installed.

Key in the off position:

* Touching the left post shows power (light on)

* Touching the right post shows power on (light on). But when I touch the right side, I see the gauge move to the left 1/4 of 1/4. It does this consistently. So this makes me think the gauge has some life in it. But accuracy is a joke perhaps.

So I am curious on thoughts for that.

Next I am also curious on a stock conversion to a voltmeter. What will be different in the way the gauge acts? Why would this be better on this older cars. Will this really give me an idea of when I my alternator is starting to go or overcharging the battery? Just wondering what I am getting for the time and money. Would be nice to see a video of this change in behavior for a running gauge.

Thanks in advance.

So I have my dash apart and going through all the components. I put on a new circuit board. All things worked before, but it was in bad shape.

The ammeter has never seemed to move, just sits in the middle. I tested it to see if it would twitch when I turn on the lights or brake and nothing.

So while things were out, I tested it with a electrical pen light. Here is what I found when sitting in the drivers seat with it semi installed.

Key in the off position:

* Touching the left post shows power (light on)

* Touching the right post shows power on (light on). But when I touch the right side, I see the gauge move to the left 1/4 of 1/4. It does this consistently. So this makes me think the gauge has some life in it. But accuracy is a joke perhaps.

So I am curious on thoughts for that.

Next I am also curious on a stock conversion to a voltmeter. What will be different in the way the gauge acts? Why would this be better on this older cars. Will this really give me an idea of when I my alternator is starting to go or overcharging the battery? Just wondering what I am getting for the time and money. Would be nice to see a video of this change in behavior for a running gauge.

Thanks in advance.

My ammeter seems to operate as yours does. I don't know how accurate it is. Plus I have a 3G alternator on the car which is much quicker at responding to electrical load changes than the original with a mechanical regulator. That will further reduce ammeter gauge movement.

Check Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations, http://rccinnovations.com/ . He does gauge work on Mustangs as well including the ammeter to voltmeter conversion. There is a description of how the it functions as a volt meter. I've seen him also post some answers to gauge questions in this forum.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

My ammeter seems to operate as yours does. I don't know how accurate it is. Plus I have a 3G alternator on the car which is much quicker at responding to electrical load changes than the original with a mechanical regulator. That will further reduce ammeter gauge movement.

Check Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations, http://rccinnovations.com/ . He does gauge work on Mustangs as well including the ammeter to voltmeter conversion. There is a description of how the it functions as a volt meter. I've seen him also post some answers to gauge questions in this forum.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

Thanks for the picture. I don't have that extra gauge pod, just the ones in the dash. I will check on Rocketman's option. Just wanted to know how it acts vs the stock one (does it sit in the middle when normal but moves more specifically due to charging condition changes). I assume he does not reface the gauge, so to look normal to anyone driving it, it would still need to sit in the middle.

Will see what he offers there. If anyone has added this, I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

Thanks for the picture. I don't have that extra gauge pod, just the ones in the dash. I will check on Rocketman's option. Just wanted to know how it acts vs the stock one (does it sit in the middle when normal but moves more specifically due to charging condition changes). I assume he does not reface the gauge, so to look normal to anyone driving it, it would still need to sit in the middle.

Will see what he offers there. If anyone has added this, I would love to hear about it. Thanks.