Sign in to follow this  
juit

alternator HiPo pulley benefits

I'm not certain on a stock alternator, but I spoke with a local alternator rebuilder and on 3g conversion they were having belt slippage complaints from customers.

I put the hipo pulley on my 3g to give more belt wrap and so far no problems on my Cleveland.

The pully on the hipo was to slow down the alternator because the hipo motor will turn more rpm.

That assumed that the owners will be revving the engine more and don't want to overspend the alternator. There is no real benefit on a stock engine unless you plan on running higher RPMs

Bob

I'm not certain on a stock alternator, but I spoke with a local alternator rebuilder and on 3g conversion they were having belt slippage complaints from customers.

I put the hipo pulley on my 3g to give more belt wrap and so far no problems on my Cleveland.

I had the same issue. I installed a small frame 3g and would occasionally have belt slip on acceleration or when starting the engine. I installed a larger diameter pulley for more belt to pulley contact area and it seemed to solve the issue. Since it's a higher output alternator, slowing it down a little with the larger pulley hasn't affected anything. Other than that it works much better than the original stock alternator and cleans up the wiring since it uses an internal voltage regulator.

The pully on the hipo was to slow down the alternator because the hipo motor will turn more rpm.

That assumed that the owners will be revving the engine more and don't want to overspend the alternator. There is no real benefit on a stock engine unless you plan on running higher RPMs

Bob

+1

In addition, it has a deeper groove than a stock one and therefore is harder for the belt to fly off of at high rpm.