Sign in to follow this  
mustangmike6996

Why do I have so much cam endplay

Setting up my 331 with a roller retrofit comp cams kit and I have a ton of endplay. about a 1/8"

I have the Ford Racing steel thrust plate for the block. I called comp and they said nothing goes between the cam and cam block thrust plate. What am I missing? How is there so much play? Comp said 0.006"-0.010" was what they like to see for endplay.

Is the endplay checked with or without the cam gear installed. I know its checked with no chain installed.

Edited by mustangmike6996

Setting up my 331 with a roller retrofit comp cams kit and I have a ton of endplay. about a 1/8"

I have the Ford Racing steel thrust plate for the block. I called comp and they said nothing goes between the cam and cam block thrust plate. What am I missing? How is there so much play? Comp said 0.006"-0.010" was what they like to see for endplay.

Is the endplay checked with or without the cam gear installed. I know its checked with no chain installed.

Edited by mustangmike6996

There is not much that effects the end play, thrust plate and cam timing gear come to mind. Not related to the end play but when I set up my 351W with a hyd roller Ford Racing tech told me I didn't need a steel thrust plate. Using a Cloyes True Roller timing set, ford Racing X303 Cam and stock thrust plate mine came in at 0.006".

There is not much that effects the end play, thrust plate and cam timing gear come to mind. Not related to the end play but when I set up my 351W with a hyd roller Ford Racing tech told me I didn't need a steel thrust plate. Using a Cloyes True Roller timing set, ford Racing X303 Cam and stock thrust plate mine came in at 0.006".

wow i have never heard of that much.

install your gears

pull the cam gear forward

put a straight edge on the cam gear and check alignment with lower geaar

if the cam gear is too far forward by 1/8" then the gear is bad

if the alignment is perfect than the plate is too thin.

Edited by barnett468

wow i have never heard of that much.

install your gears

pull the cam gear forward

put a straight edge on the cam gear and check alignment with lower geaar

if the cam gear is too far forward by 1/8" then the gear is bad

if the alignment is perfect than the plate is too thin.

Edited by barnett468

I wanted to be more descriptive but I was on my phone...

From the looks of it on Comp's installation instruction page, there are 2 different small block cam gears. There is a gear with a small lip on the cam side and one that has no lip that requires a washer. I have a brand new FRPP thrust plate so it shouldn't be too thin, they only come in one size as far as I can find/tell.

So theoretically, the cam gear will provide the back and forth limitation of movement. The thrust plate thickness will determine the exact amount of endplay. I was in a hurry to leave to go to work and slide the cam in the block, installed just the thrust plate and saw the massive amount of endplay (without the cam gear installed) I will check the endplay tomorrow with the gear installed. I haven't opened the new timing set to see what cam gear is included or if there is a spacer for the back side (between the gear and cam face)

I wanted to be more descriptive but I was on my phone...

From the looks of it on Comp's installation instruction page, there are 2 different small block cam gears. There is a gear with a small lip on the cam side and one that has no lip that requires a washer. I have a brand new FRPP thrust plate so it shouldn't be too thin, they only come in one size as far as I can find/tell.

So theoretically, the cam gear will provide the back and forth limitation of movement. The thrust plate thickness will determine the exact amount of endplay. I was in a hurry to leave to go to work and slide the cam in the block, installed just the thrust plate and saw the massive amount of endplay (without the cam gear installed) I will check the endplay tomorrow with the gear installed. I haven't opened the new timing set to see what cam gear is included or if there is a spacer for the back side (between the gear and cam face)

My crank got polished and mics at 2.123 (stock measures 2.122 out of the box)

I have stock rod bearings installed and it feels like its got that metal "click" of excess clearance. I only have micrometers and platigauge is in stock at autozone.

It just seems too loose for stock bearing size and 0.001 under crank. I tried it with my old (1 hr of run time) rod bearing and my new clevite 77 triarmor coated bearing and they both felt equally loose.

your numbers say your crank is bigger than whatever out of the box crank you are referring to.

loose bearings will not click when the engine is turned over by hand but i would find the sound.

all the info I can find says that stock for cranks are 2.122" I am at work now, my friend is at my house mic'ing the crank and he got the same reading and said my mic was off by 0.0001 (he checked the zero with the zeroing block in the mic kit)

I have the rod on the crank with no piston in the block and if you wiggle the rod perpendicular to the crank you can hear the tick. I have not gone any further into the assembly process yet.