Sign in to follow this  
jagbucket

turn signal wires

I have a new turn signal harness has twelve wires the connector has ten holes the extra wires are a yellow/black and a brown wire these are also in the original harness but not in the connector they appear to have been used because the locking tabs are bent back. i cannot find a diagram that shows them. 69 mustang tilt wheel any help?

Shelbyshelby Thanks for that if you look at the harnesses for sale the wires are visible brown is on the underside locked into the plastic under the pivot area the yellow black terminates under the pivot also but from the top. I cannot be sure if original but think it is

I've asked midlife. if you do not see the wires at the connector I'm leaning toward not used. Hard to believe i'm the only one to ask when these wires are on the switches from every vendors site ive been able to see and perhaps my switch is a repo.

I will take a look at mine to see if I can see what it is. The tilt wheel has a safety switch in it that does not allow you to start the car if the wheel is tilted up. Most people disconnect this. I will see if that is what the extra wires are.

I believe what jagbucket is experiencing is that the reproduction turn signal switches are generic Ford models, ones that fit a variety of Blue Oval models. With 11 wires and only 10 possible pins on the turn signal switch connector, something is definitely out-of-whack. There's nothing in the turn signal switch itself that would interrupt the car being started.

After some thought, I remember changing a t switch in the 80's in my 68 and having left over wires. I just went and looked at it. Guess what, it has a yellow w/black and a tan wire left over on it also. I don't remember for certain but I think it's a standard brand switch. The 68 isn't a tilt away though. Just thinking midlife is right on with it being an aftermarket switch. My 69 tilt doesn't have any left over wires. I'm guessing yours has been changed before.

I pulled the switch out today and found ford part # C85A 13B302A BP so original switch has 12 wires plug has 9 holes. there are a few things that do not appear oem on the plug end , now that it is out i am going to trace all wires. Ive found that all the aftermarket wiring schematics are woefully short on information so detective work is required.

just read the above post if i have a 68 switch that could be the issue but its original to the car ive had it since early 70's

Edited by jagbucket

C85(?)A is a full size ford designation. Although the prefix comes from which model line designed the TSSwitch, that re-inforces the idea that this switch is for other models as well. Just because it has a Ford part number on your TSS does not mean it was original to your car.

my mistake it must be C8SA part #.

Thanks Midlife . I found some info that the extra brown and yellow/blk is for a column shift car so that still leaves a red wire to solve which may just be more extra wires for the generic use of this switch . This info is like digging for gold and i thank those who share

I called West coast classic cougar and talked to Richard there. Who went the extra mile to answer this after spending several hours looking through an inventory of original columns the answer is the yellow/black and brown are not used the extra red is in the normally empty hole in the switch harness but there is no wire in the dash harness that it plugs into so of no use.

in the end you have seven wires for the signal plus two for the horn total of nine wires used with the blank red = ten on the wheel side.

Hope this helps others, only took me a week to reach a definitive answer. thanks to posters here and Richard who called me back after several hours of research to give me the info they are also a great resource of hard to find parts as cougar and mustang share many details.

Would it be possible to share what colors go in which holes... somehow? I was looking at mine, and the colors do not match with the factory schematics that I have.

I also have tilt, and my tilt has a brown wire that disables the engine from starting when the wheel is tilted. It does not go into the 9 pin turn signal connector.

Danno

Thanks you have given another piece of information i would very much like to know where does the brown wire connect and i think it will be a brown and yellow black as those are the two that started my problem .

In answer to your q. Looking at the outside of the curved plug as it is connected to the body harness from left to right 1(outside) yellow 2.(inside)blue/yellow 3.(outside)white/red 4.white/blue 5. green/red 6.green/white 7. orange/blue 8. green 9.blue 10. optional red this is the blank hole on the body side odd numbers on the outside even on the inside of the curved plug to help further if you pm me i will send a pic of the plug. But why are you asking the wires match the body harness, unless like me you do not have the underdash now

I have the same problem with the reproduction schematics they do not id all the wires and the three examples i have are copies of the same incomplete information

Danno

Thanks you have given another piece of information i would very much like to know where does the brown wire connect and i think it will be a brown and yellow black as those are the two that started my problem .

In answer to your q. Looking at the outside of the curved plug as it is connected to the body harness from left to right 1(outside) yellow 2.(inside)blue/yellow 3.(outside)white/red 4.white/blue 5. green/red 6.green/white 7. orange/blue 8. green 9.blue 10. optional red this is the blank hole on the body side odd numbers on the outside even on the inside of the curved plug to help further if you pm me i will send a pic of the plug. But why are you asking the wires match the body harness, unless like me you do not have the underdash now

I have the same problem with the reproduction schematics they do not id all the wires and the three examples i have are copies of the same incomplete information

Wire colors/positions are incorrectly stated.

Looking at the outside of the curved plug from the main underdash harness, from left to right is:

blue

orange/blue

green/orange

white/red

yellow

On the inside curve of the main underdash harness:

blank (1969), or black (1970)

green

green/white (two wires)

white/blue (two wires)

blue/yellow

Midlife they are the same except i call an orange stripe red. Im looking at the harness from the switch you are looking at the dash side so the order is reversed. as i stated i will send a picture to a pm sender showing the harness matching my intermediate console feed harness connection

OK, they could be the same as mine, I need to look for the second color stripes on some of my wires. I might have missed them. I also have a yellow/black wire on the inner radius where midlife lists it as blank. So I have a this wire in there, and I will bet it goes to the tilt safety switch.

The factory schematics list the color of the wires to the safety switch as both red/blue. I will need to verify. I gotta find out where the brown and yellow/black wires go.

I did some looking again and unlike a 67 which has a switch that looks like a door switch i think the interrupt is part of the relay in the tilt bracket and the wire is off the ignition switch that has a male female bullet plug red/blue 32 a few inches from the key switch, the diagram calls this a starter safety switch which sent me looking for a separate switch. A non tilt car these are just connected with tilt it is inserted here. If this is correct it still does not answer the brown, yellow/black question

The yellow/black and brown definitely go to the tilt interrupt switch. There are some special contacts in the turn signal switch of one with tilt that are used for the starter interrupt. On mine the yellow/black is in the connector at the end, next to the green wire.

I took mine all apart last night because I was curious. There are horn wires that I also need to figure out, so I will look again tonight and get more complete answers.

Mine has a total of 12 wires coming from the turn signal switch to that 10 pin half moon connector. The red wire is for the emergency flasher, and is not connected to anything on mine. That probably explains why my emergency flasher has never worked in the 30 years I have owned the car. I am going to see if I can find out where it is sopposed to go. I bet it goes to the emergency flasher.

tbd