Sign in to follow this  
puzzledeagle

Need advice on best way to convert 1969 Mustang coupe to fastback

I finally found a cheap 1969 Mustang Fastback on Craigslist for only $2000. Catch was, it was in awful shape. The floor and frame rails are rotted completely, the front end has too much damage as well. But I still want to salvage the back half to do a coupe to fastback conversion kit for another 1969 Mustang coupe that I already have as well. It's in solid shape with no rust. What would be the best way to convert the coupe to a fastback?

http://s28.postimg.org/gm4o7gf1p/DSCF9695.jpg

Could I just cut through the A pillars and then weld it to the coupe since this is the easiest method?

http://s28.postimg.org/j0wjrvval/DSCF4542.jpg

Or would it be best to keep the whole door frame assembly intact, pry it out of the rusted shell and then weld it into the coupe frame?

http://s28.postimg.org/gkuqe1d7x/DSCF4543.jpg

Edited by puzzledeagle

Ive actually done a few of these at work.

The only way to do it right in my opinion is to take the roof off right at the spot welds it was joined with.

Its a time consuming task, where the top door hinge is you will see a bunch of spot welds that you have to break loose, there will be some on the inside also, you can cut the cowl off at the ends to help you see and give better access also.

At the back of the car you will have to cut the quarters off and break loose all the spot welds that are on top of the wheel tubs to free the inner roof structure.

Not for the faint hearted but I think its the only way to do it correctly.

Here are a few pics I found of the last coupe to fastback I did.

Not sure they will help you too much but you can see how involved it is and maybe show you that there is no cutting involved whatsoever.

Its just drilling out spot welds, no cutting on the pillars or on the rear inner roof structure.

Cant find some pics, so heres the roof now on the coupe car with quarters fitted.

If you look at the bottom of the pillar you can see how far down it comes off at, the three hinge holes are part of the pillar.

500_zps2d12da13.jpg

Edited by 70fastbak
Added info

Each person have their own different ways I guess.

We call that the hillbilly way and I would get fired if I did it that way but whatever works.

Its for sure the faster way but I need my job so I do it the way I wont get fired.

That's beautiful, 70fastbak! Thanks so much for the pics! I'll definitely give your method a shot, any more pics and advice you can provide?

Its the most time consuming way but like I said in my opinion the correct and only way to do it.

One thing I will add is that the filler panel and trap door surround can be taken out with the roof when its lifted off (forgot to mention that, sorry).

Once again, no cutting just breaking spot welds.

I will help you anyway I can, im sure I have more pics somewhere, if you want to talk pm me and I will give you my phone number.

Here's way I do it.

Powerblock on SpikeTV actually did an episode where they converted a 67 coupe to a fastback, but the older Mustangs are different and nothing like the 69-70 structure.

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/DM2014-12/plain-pony-to-fastback

I will help you anyway I can, im sure I have more pics somewhere, if you want to talk pm me and I will give you my phone number.

More pics would be great thanks. I'll keep in touch, right now I don't even have all the tools yet so I'm gonna go shopping this weekend first. Orchard Supply has a no sales tax event this Sat and Sun.

I have not converted a coupe,to a fastback but I have clipped several cars.

Best way to do it is to drill spot welds and separate. Then reassemble the pieces at the spot welds.

Yes it it time consuming but it is the best way to know you have things where they should be.

First you need to strip and better evaluate that fastback to see how much you can save from it and if there is enough of the fastback stuff there that you will need

Bob

Powerblock on SpikeTV actually did an episode where they converted a 67 coupe to a fastback, but the older Mustangs are different and nothing like the 69-70 structure.

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/DM2014-12/plain-pony-to-fastback

More pics would be great thanks. I'll keep in touch, right now I don't even have all the tools yet so I'm gonna go shopping this weekend first. Orchard Supply has a no sales tax event this Sat and Sun.

Ok just let me know.

Each person have their own different ways I guess.

We call that the hillbilly way and I would get fired if I did it that way but whatever works.

Its for sure the faster way but I need my job so I do it the way I wont get fired.

I certainly hope you weren't referring to me as a hillbilly. We've been doing clips this way since the 60's. I can guarantee the way the a-pillar is sleeved it is by far stronger than the factory. You are correct there are several ways of going about it, but you don't have to be insulting about it.

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/DM2014-12/plain-pony-to-fastba

That's not correct at all, you would still use the same method.