Sign in to follow this  
larryc94

LED Stop lamps

Have a '70 would like to add LED Stop lamps to aid in visability to drivers behind me.

Not looking for sequential, want instant on and brightness LEDs provide.

Do I have to change the front turn/ park. I know I have to change to a no load electronic flasher.

Questions:

What bulbs did you use and where did you get them?

What did you do for the dash indicator?

thx in advanc

I bought the LED replacement bulb and works great. These screw in to the receptacle and require no changes. They were cheap, brighter than stock incandescents with a sharp cutoff and didnt affect turn signal flashing. I think I have pics posted here somewhere.

I bought the same style LED bulbs for the front and when I installed them they continued to flash ok until I turned on the heaadlights. I tried a cheap solid-state flasher and made no difference. I bought ballasts to restore the flasher load but havent installed them yet. I have pulled the front LEDs till I get ballasts wired in.

Edited by miketyler

So far, I've just swapped out my side markers with LED's.

I had bought 3 versions of "194" replacements (1, 4, & 6 LED in red & amber) from SuperBrightLeds for my 2011 and one of the left-over's worked real well on the '69.

I think the 4-LED are what are on my 2011 and the 1-LED are on the 69.

No noticeable difference on the RED rear ones, the front amber ones have a slightly different glow to them.

Doug

I bought a cree led without any problem it works awesome

Buy them in red color so you wont loose lumens when the lens filters it

Look for the on ebay 2x 1157 High Power Cree Red Brake/Stop/Tail/Turn Signal LED Light Bulbs

Edited by juit

I have those! they work great (tested them) but haven't installed them yet, but you need LED flashers (2) from what i was told, so it can be functional. Every time I used the turn signal or hazards it wouldn't flash. CJponyparts should have them.

Also, I bought them from Speedway motors, and they have them for a nice price.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1969-Mustang-LED-Tail-Stop-Lights,38429.html

Remove the 4 nuts that mount the tail light to panel, remove the rubber gasket from the tail light assy. Remove screws that hold the trim and lens to the bucket. Remove the lense. Twist the 1157 bulb out of the socket. Install supplied spacers per instructions between socket and printed circuit board, twist the socket in just like installing an 1157 bulb, and re assemble. Repeat on other side. Then just replace your flasher with the supplied electronic flasher (plugs right into the same plug as old flasher). And viola! You are blinding the guy behind you with 230 led's of intense brightness, and damn they are bright! No permanent mods, easy clear instructions. Can also be ordered through National Parts Depot. But the above web sight is the manufacturer. They are very helpful with any questions you may have. I plugged the wires for the flasher in backwards (totally my fault) the instructions were clear about it but I was in a hurry and got em backwards, it ruined the flasher. They sent me another, I wired it right this time (2 wires plug right into original plug) and it has worked without fail since! I love em. This mod can be done easily by almost anybody with just a little skill.