Sign in to follow this  
69 red fastback

69 steering

First thing I would do is jack up the front of the car and place it on jack stands. Inspect all your mechanical linkage for wear. With the car on stands and the engine OFF turn the wheel lock to lock in both directions and see if it is still feeling like it binds. If not do it again with the engine running to be sure it is a hydraulic issue. Are the p/s control valve and ram original? Have you dbl checked the fluid level? Are you using the proper fluid? Any leaks? And if so from where?

To my knowledge they are original , and yes I have checked the fluid level and for leaks and they are both good, I will jack it up tomorrow and try what you suggested to see what happens, so I taked it with the engine off and it doesn't fell like it's binding then it's either the control valve or the ram is probably bad? Thanks for the advice

I have another guestion about my steering problem, I did the checks that were suggested and everything seemed good but upon further inspection of the front end it looked like my alignment if off a little, so I set the car down and done some measuring and it appears that the left tire is toed in about a half inch more than the right and also when turned all the way to the left it is not going all the way to the stop, so I guess with all my rambling could this be why it seems to turn harder to the left.sorry for the long winded post but this is just about to drive me crazy. Anymore information would be greatly appreciated

First thing I would do is jack up the front of the car and place it on jack stands. Inspect all your mechanical linkage for wear. With the car on stands and the engine OFF turn the wheel lock to lock in both directions and see if it is still feeling like it binds. If not do it again with the engine running to be sure it is a hydraulic issue. Are the p/s control valve and ram original? Have you dbl checked the fluid level? Are you using the proper fluid? Any leaks? And if so from where?

This is fine, but you have to keep in mind that jacking the car up and putting it on jack stands drops the suspension quite a bit, enough that a bind may no longer be present. If you want to see if there is mechanical interference, you need to do it with the suspension loaded to imitate driving conditions.