Sign in to follow this  
mhager72

Gauges not working 1969 sports roof

So, since I had my new wiring harness installed (not by me), my gauges have not worked. I've changed the constant voltage regulator and I just put in a new circuit board and still no joy. I was sure to put the cluster plug in correctly too. The only thing I can think to do is change the temp, oil and fuel sending units.

Anybody else have a similar issue or have any ideas? I had a frame off paint and body restoration completed in 2012. The gauges have not worked since I first put it back together. Any help would be appreciated. It still has the factory original gauges.

Yes. The instrument lights work, and the circuit board is getting power (checked with a volt meter) but the gauges still don't work. I installed a brand new printed circuit board. It had no damage.

Edited by mhager72
Answer a question.

Hmm.. odd. Everything is new, but not working. Very unlikly for all sending units to quit at the same time. Could there be a fault in your ignition key switch? Is eveything connected? Does the sending units get power then you switch the ignition?

I made sure all the gauges were centered and had the cardboard backing on each. When I turn the key to the "on" position and check the circuit board with my volt meter, the only wires from the plug that register are the 12v and the ignition. When I turn the lights on, I get a power reading from all the dash lights. I'm still not getting a reading for the fuel, oil and temp. I even tried unplugging the CVR an testing the posts on the those gauges to make sure they were not touching.

I tried to get a reading with the volt meter on the temp and fuel sending unit, but couldn't get a reading.

I've looked through all the forums and tried just about everything.

Put 2 very small wires under each side of the voltage regular where the cap plugs into it, then re-connect the harness to it. Monitor the voltage on each side of the constant voltage meter. One side should be 12 volts, and the other side should slowly change from about 1 volt to 9 volts, averaging about 5 volts. If you do not have these voltages, then you can work on plan B.

The usual problem when no gauge works is ground, or it could be a bad voltage regulator.