Sign in to follow this  
bryonbush

two questions: springs and weather strips

Going to replace my rear leaf springs and a lot of stuff is on sale at CJ pony parts right now. Question one: should I get the front springs as well? I'm thinking of doing a one inch drop, but not sure how much it will change the cars stance though when I pull the 302 for the 351W.

Question two: anyone order the convertible weather strip kit from cj's?

Lots of guys replace both front and rear. I kept my front coils but I'm replacing my leafs with Eaton (which is what CJ's sells IIRC). There shouldn't be much difference between a 302 and a 351 when doing the Arning drop or removing a coil.

I used the convertible weatherstrip from CJ's and it was quite good. It's been a few years ago but I doubt much has changed.

I would do the rears first and see how you like the stance.

Ive noticed that there is more the the rear end height then just the eye position and stiffness.

You can have 2 manufacturers, make springs with the same rate, AND the same EYE position. One company can put a slightly different curve in the leafs resulting in a higher or lower ride height, even though they should technically be the same.

So I would recommend changing your rears first, and drive it a little until the new leafs settle, then decide on what to do with the front based on the new stance from the leafs.