Sign in to follow this  
Kaspar

Spark plugs and Edelbrock EFI

Hey guys.

I've recently installed the Edelbrock E-Street EFI kit on my 69/302 and after installing it, my spark plugs keep blowing out.

I'm using the standard Champion I've always been using.

Any ideas?

Sorry, I'm Danish and not sure of the english term, but they stop working and need to be changed. I've changed to times now and they blow out again, so I'm thinking either I need different ones or the fault is somewhere else.

My heads are also Edelbrock. I've got the Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End kit installed. 60cc chamber and 170cc intake runner.

Should I try to change them all to iridium spark plugs or could the fault lie somewhere else?

What kind of Ignition are you running ?

MSD box? aftermarket distributor?

May want to consider an MSD box for hotter spark and open the Gap up on the plugs.

Usually 50-60 thousands on EFI cars but Im not sure on that Edelbrock unit...sounds like it needs hotter plug and or more fire or your running MAJOR rich and if that is the case then you need to correct it asap or possibly wash out the rings in the motor..

Hey.

You mean a picture of the spark plugs that aren't working anymore? They are basically black.

I'm pretty sure the EFI is running way too rich, even though I've used the Setup Wizard to self learn how to feed the engine. It was running fine at first but then after some miles it went worse and worse as the spark plugs started failing.

I've talked to Edelbrock and we've gone through the whole set-up of the EFI kit and it should be installed correctly. Just can't figure out why it running so rich. Maybe a faulty kit, but maybe some of you geniuses had an idea... :-)

It's a self learning kit once you have a baseline, and the only real external things you need to install are a higher pressure fuel pump and an O2 sensor. You could have a faulty unit, but I am wondering it the O2 sensor is messed up or somehow your fuel pump is not regulated properly.

I got it resolved. Turns out the self-learning process wasn't entirely self-learning, as I had to talk for a long time with Edelbrock and they gave me a custom map for the ECU that fit my engine specs. Along with that I changed to some higher grade spark plugs from ACDelco. Not it's running smooth, however the EFI isn't getting enough power from my Mallory distributor and coil, so I need to install a MSD Streetfire Ignition to get full power past 4000 rpm.

I guess it's what you should expect, but it wasn't at all so Plug and Play as advertised. Nothing ever is with these old beauties and I had to do a lot of mods in the installation. I even got the sump kit, so I wouldn't have to mess with my tank and fuel pump...