Sign in to follow this  
stangs-R-me

Inline Fuel Flow Restrictor ...

I had been using an inline Fuel Filter (Parker / Purolator) right before the fuel pump for the past 20 years or so on my '69 (see pic).

Was discussing with a friend how this car used to perform when I 1st put the Holley 600 Double Pumper on it back in the late 80's. One thing is it would easily smoke the tires at 5-10 MPH roll in 1st gear (not touching the clutch pedal). Carb was rebuilt in the early 90's and more recently it started to develop a stumble / hesitation when hitting the secondaries so I rebuilt the carb again in 2011 including two new inlet filters as well as a new cartridge in this inline filter. Noticed no change in performance.

Anyway, I had mentioned how I had bought a new replacement Fuel pump from Carter and I was going to try that next and he saw my inline filter and recommended I try running it without that filter first.

Well, swapped out my filter with a plain piece of hose today and it was as if I removed a restrictor plate off of a Nascar engine !!

Studying this filter further, I noticed it is stamped 5/16" on the end caps (s/b at least 3/8" to match the line size) and the I.D. thru the fittings is only 3/16" ... think this thing is a restriction ?? I'd say probably !!

Just one of many dumb things I did when I was young ... back in the day where I did not analyze / think things like this through before doing !!

Doug

EDIT: Well, I've tried 4 times to attach the picture (both in Chrome & IE) and it will not let me add an attachment. This has happened to me before on this forum ... don't know why !!

Edited by stangs-R-me

Those things are not a good idea if you ever mash the gas..it will run the carb dry and will lean out the motor..a properly tuned carb is best...i still have one in the tool box from the 80s anyone want it? Haha.. oops sorry my bad should have read more...

Edited by 1969vert

[quote=stangs-R-me;

Studying this filter further, I noticed it is stamped 5/16" on the end caps (s/b at least 3/8" to match the line size) and the I.D. thru the fittings is only 3/16" ... think this thing is a restriction ?? I'd say probably !!

Doug

So are you using a filter ? The largest inline filter I could find is a NAPA 3027 inside diameter is 5/16". Brian

So are you using a filter ? The largest inline filter I could find is a NAPA 3027 inside diameter is 5/16". Brian

I "WAS" using a filter ... until yesterday.

Just tried to post the pic again and this is the error I get ...

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Don't know why it's doing this.

More than one way to show you what I was using ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PUROLATOR-PRO-FUEL-INLINE-FUEL-FILTER-5-16-805-/161030337386?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257e27f36a

Also noticed the 3/8" version (that I should have been using) is also on e-bay for $15.

What I liked about these is you could see the element thru the glass tube and there was a magnet in it as well. Replacement elements came in a 3-pack.

Doug