Sign in to follow this  
maleah

Lessons learned

I have been chasing gremlins for about a year now with my 69 vert. Rough idle, electrical, timing etc. Somedays it would run ok, the next day not so much. A friend of mine always said I should get a vacuum gauge and time my car as well as ajust the carb. Well I finially took his advice, read up on exactly how to use the vacuum gauge for the timing and the carb and went to work. All I can say is WOW, how DUMB was I not to take his advice last year. As it turns out, my timing was off, and my carb settings were WAY off. I of course took new carb out of the box, slapped it on thinking the factory ajustments were close, yea, no. I am having none of my old issues and the car is running better than it has in years. I have chased away most of my little gremlins with a simple gauge and a few minutes of my time. Now if I can only get some kind of gauge to fix my sloppy, leaky power steering set up!

Huh?

There is a member of this site that goes by the name "MidLife". If you are always chasing electrical issues that drive you nuts, then contact this guy. He will rebuild your original wire harness and thus get rid of "the ghost" in the machine. Highly recommended for a car this old.

Hope I explained a little better.

Dave

I think Max was confused, since the primary focus of the OP's post was the use of a vacuum gauge for tuning. Maleah did mention electrical issues as well.

I'd be happy to help out if that is what is wanted. It takes only 2 weeks or so from pulling to re-installing the wiring.

My website is http://midlife66.com/harnesses

And thanks for the kind words!