Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Trunk Mat

I have the original trunk mat all in one piece but it is stained pretty bad. I was thinking of using it as a template to make a new one.

I was also looking at the trunk filler board. Does anyone have a pic of this in their trunk and how it is installed? Not sure how it is mounted to the body.

Any thoughts on the aftermarket trunk mats?

I have this pricey ACC one in my coupe and I think it looks very good. I think the cheap ones look awful.

http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/trunk_mat_burtex_original_speckled_style-141015-1.html

Don't let that original mat get away, regardless of condition. If it is for a non-folddown fastback or a coupe, I would be very interested in it.

I have this pricey ACC one in my coupe and I think it looks very good. I think the cheap ones look awful.

http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/trunk_mat_burtex_original_speckled_style-141015-1.html

This trunk mat is made of Burtex - a really top quality material. The only problem with this mat is that it does not cover the portion of the trunk under the spare tire. For those of us that do not carry a spare, this leaves part of the trunk floor uncovered. I have tried to buy a small piece of the material to cover the spare tire area but no vendor will sell such a small piece.

If anyone is interested in sharing the cost of one of the burtex mats and cutting it up, let me know.

How can you tell repo from OEM? I have a nice one that came with my car. I put the carpet kit in mine and wont be using it. Maybe a Ford PN printed somewhere or molded in on backside?

I don't think there are numbers to ID an original, but I think it is a little thinner than the best repro and, of course, would have the brown felt backing and show some wear. Not sure this helps but here is an original. Would be happy to look at pictures of yours and would, of course, be interested in it.

About that filler board; on my 65 it is held in place with two large head Phillips screws. My 69 had no filler board when I got it and no holes in the sheetmetal to suggest this method was used. Brian

Edited by Brian Conway

Mine looks exactly like the pic Rockhouse posted except a little dirtier. I was thinking about getting the filler board to cover the rear harness wires running down the wheel well. I have holes in the sheet metal and looks like U nuts where it was installed at one point.

Question is: looks like the mat has enough material to cover that filler board.

Mine looks exactly like the pic Rockhouse posted except a little dirtier. I was thinking about getting the filler board to cover the rear harness wires running down the wheel well. I have holes in the sheet metal and looks like U nuts where it was installed at one point.

Question is: looks like the mat has enough material to cover that filler board.

The filler board doesn't use fasteners in a 1969 car. It just has little wings that fold down to keep it from sliding around. The trunk mat should cover it. Let me know if you consider parting with your original mat.

Clark, did you check the ACC, Auto Custom Carpet, website. They sell burtex mats but I don't know if they are full width or not. They supply many of the parts houses with product. I was told the burtex is not the correct material for a '69 but that may not be a concern for you. Dave R.

http://www.accmats.com/zArticles.aspx