stangnet33

'69 Mach 1 - resto modified w/stroker build

So I stepped away from the project for awhile after nearly losing my wife to an illness and now she's hopefully on the mend it's time to pick up my thread again. So cleaned up the thread a bit and refreshed the avatar :) I've also had lots of other things pressing to keep busy whether I wanted to or not  including our second vehicle getting smacked up

Started with this 

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

almost done, just needs the rest of it's trim

DSC_0188.jpg

Won't post all the pics of it and now I'm working on the van front bumper facia so I can sell it to fund the build some. 

Welcome back! Glad things are looking up with your wife. You'll be cleaning parts that don't even need it with the blasting cabinet! I love mine. Oh, and welcome back.

I've always been here just nothing with my thread , thanks anyways Bob :) So I mounted up the dash with couple quick mounts/support to begin see what needs to be done. Had to put an extra brace near the middle (above the ignition key) as it wants to buckle down in half, so need to check and see whats up. I'm having a tough time finding someone to make up the right color for the charcoal black poly. I want it to be right. Next I'll be checking out the heater box. 

DSC_0730.jpg

Building a 351 based clevor is not as hard as you may think

Use the 351w block

Use the 351w crank

Use Chrysler rods (340 I think )

Offset grind the crank, the 340 rod has a smaller big end so you can go to a 377ci engine with standard 340 bearings.

Use boss302 pistons

Use 351 2v heads

The intake will be one of the 'street boss' intakes from B&A performance there are often a couple floating around on eBay or other web sites and may still be available new.

For the real old school there used to be adapter plates that bolted to the heads and let you use an aluminum 302 intake before the street boss intakes were made

Bob

Hey hey, he's back on the project. Nice to see!

Very happy to hear your wife is doing better. I nearly lost mine this year too to also being quite unwell. She is doing better now though. I hope your wife is as well.

I've got the same blasting cabinet. Some feedback on yours would be great. I find I have to keep tipping it up to the side so the media is back over to the side where the pipe sucks from. I also find mine incredibly slow.

Thanks Ash :)  Well photobucket is down at the moment so no pic updates. 

That's bang on with this one as well. But it was only a $100.  I've only tried crushed Walnut shells so far, but I'm gonna try some glass beads/crushed glass and for the more sensitive blasting I'll use aluminum. The speed of blasting with the walnuts is Ok , what are you using ? Make sure to run a water filter so you don't get clogging. I see some modifications in it's future ;)

I've got the same blasting cabinet. Some feedback on yours would be great. I find I have to keep tipping it up to the side so the media is back over to the side where the pipe sucks from. I also find mine incredibly slow.

I've been trying to do something every day. I've pulled the parking brake out and sand blasted, took my heater box apart to realize just how bad it is, so to be determined. Received parts from Muscle Car Research (nothing but nice things to say about them. My parts arrived damaged and he sent me new parts even though there was no shipping insurance and both orders arrived quickly) for the steering column, just needs a little more cleaning then paint. Totally disassembled the dash so working on that at the moment. Plus been heavy on the computer research, research and more research lol.   

Whats the plan with the heater box? I looked at mine recently and though much the same. I looked into replacing it with a modern one, mine also has A/C, and weld up the holes in the firewall while I'm working on the body. During my computer research on the topic, I found a thread on here that is quite good. Lots of install detail. Plus he does a nice job of rebuilding the stairs in his house while he is at it.

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php/topic/54442-my-vintage-air-gen-vi-install/?hl=stairs

Photo Bucket has been a real bitch for me since a maintenance shut down just awhile back. Anyways I've meant to add to my thread my steering wheel refurbish at Rim Blow Buddy as this wheel has a special story. I met a gentleman one day when I was checking on my car at the first body shop. He said his son had the same year car but had recently passed away and that he still had the steering wheel from his car and asked if I'd like to have it and put it to good use. So sure, but didn't  take it real serious. A month or so later it was delivered to the body shop. I was quite sad that I couldn't remember his name, but it will go to good use one way or another.

Anyways the owner of RBB at the time sent me progress pic's as it went through. The finished product was good BUT shortly after getting it discovered the horn strip doesn't work all the way around and in a few places have to squeeze really hard to make it work. Tried to get it resolved, but got walls of excuses and the owner I knew was no longer there. So I'll live with it for now. Here's a few of the ones she sent me:

Arrival (bottom right)

77b17dab-8288-434c-88e5-dba1af4d07e2.jpg

c88a7f4b-61e8-4e4d-926e-6ddc5d643c0a.jpg

bf39e671-1ebd-4eca-bb75-689ea17ec3bf.jpg

56789784-2698-4b7b-ac93-002d60a7672f.jpg

764ab1d0-0ef7-4160-99c2-26e02afea4af.jpg

7670c40d-c208-49ad-a852-5893677208e1.jpg

Finished product:

d102f0df-a1a4-4cb4-9f97-194d2f61e705.jpg

Back home: I refurbished the pad my self

DSC_0734.jpg

DSC_0735.jpg

The wheel looks real nice. What a change. And what a very nice thing to do by the gentleman passing it on.

Yeah, I think I'd do the same if you didn't want A/C. I was looking at it and thinking this thing is going to cost a bomb to rebuild and probably cheaper and more reliable, go away from the original controls, to swap it to a modern unit.

So been working on the project almost every day but not a whole bunch to show for it. When I stopped working on it things sort of just got piled into it. So while a lot of members have/having their car painted, I fixed the hood latch bracket as someone made a mess on the lower part of it. Wee.... Also welded up and straightened the grille support as it was twisted and torn in a few spots. Won't weld the lower tab on the latch bracket till I make sure of the length as I don't have any measurements to go by yet. While I could just buy new parts I really want to save as much of original stuff as possible when feasible just because I'm that way.   

DSC_0763_1.jpg

DSC_0768.jpg

DSC_0770.jpg